Boiler pressure dropping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Logic 30 boiler which is only 4 months old. Recently the pressure has been dropping to zero when the heating is switched off. I have cheked all the radiators and tey are all hot and no air in system, no bleeding required . I called out the Ideal engineer and he examined boiler, blew off some water through overflow pipe otside and said he could not find a fault and said I must have a leak somewhere on my system. When he had gone the overflow pipe dripped for about 3 days but it is now dry and pressure is still dropping. I have been unde my floor and cannot find any leaks. If there is a leak God knows where it is If ther is a leak would not my radiatorsgo cold and need bleeding? Hope someone can come up with some ideas cos I am gradually losing the will to live.

Sponsored Links
Was the installation just a new boiler, did you have the rads etc already in? Were they cleaned before the boiler was installed?
The reason for asking is that usually installers will always warn against old system leaking when they have been cleaned prior to a new boiler installation.
How long does it take to drop to zero?
Couple of things the installer could check, isolate the boiler from the CH circuit and see if the pressure still drops, if not that rules out the boiler leaking. If it does then checks on the PRV, EV etc would need to be done.
Then isolate the rads, that then tests the rads and connections after the valves.
Then its chasing through the cold pipework. Check every coupling and pipe run with coloured loo paper, shows up any water really easily
If there is a leak then yes air would be entering the system so would usually need to be bled out when refilled.

Thanks for your reply Rob. It was a new boiler fitted with existing radiators,which I dont think the fitter flushed out the system. Ihave checked and checked again for leaks and cannot find any evidence.I think it takes about 3 to 4 hrs to go down to zero

That isn't long for the pressure to drop to zero, sounds like more than a drip. As Rab says, isolate the boiler from the system as a starting point, to see if it is the boiler or the system causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
Can you get your original installer in as he should have guaranteed his installation, unless he did give a proviso that the system couldn't be covered? It should have been cleaned out prior to a new boiler going in BTW.
As suggested then, all you can do is work through the tests to try and narrow down where the problem might be and go from there.

The old boiler was a worcester bosch. Dont know if there is another pressure vessel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back