Boiler pressure loss through condensate pipe?

gtg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice with a pressure loss issue that has been driving me mad for a while! It's on my vaillant 637 ecotec boiler, which is losing about 0.5-0.7 bar of pressure per day at present.

Just to be clear - I am not a professional so will not be attempting to do any work on the system myself. I'm just trying to understand what might be wrong.

There are no obvious leaks on rads, and the PRV discharge pipe is bone dry. I think that leaves leaking pipe under a floor, or cracked heat exchanger as the chief suspects.

Before I start ripping floors up to search for a leak, I noticed earlier today that the water coming from the plastic condensate pipe is rusty/orangey brown. Does this sound like a cracked heat exchanger causing pressure loss, or is it normal for the water to be this colour?

Are there any simple tests to confirm whether this is the cause of the leak?

Let me know if any more info or pics would help.

Thanks all for reading

Sponsored Links
yes a simple test, you should be able to disconnect the condensate hose where it comes out of the boiler, turn the pressure up to about 2 Bar and turn the boiler completely off, put the condensate hose into some kind of container and see if it gets water in when turned off, if it does new heat exchanger time

Brilliant, thank you Ian. I'll give that a go tomorrow.
Just out of interest, does the corrosion in the water sound unusual?

Brilliant, thank you Ian. I'll give that a go tomorrow.
Just out of interest, does the corrosion in the water sound unusual?
could be a few things but bleed a little water from a radiator and see if its the same colour, if it is could be a pinholed heat exchanger, wont be the heat exchanger discolouring it, that is made from Stainless steel

• Thanks
Reactions: gtg
Sponsored Links
I switched the boiler off this morning and increased pressure to around 2 bar. Put a bucket under the condensate pipe and saw this about 4 hours later. I checked after an hour and there were just a few drops so it’s definitely something that was continuing while the boiler was off.

92198C9B-D6DD-4FEF-BD99-B84B7ED16D0D.jpeg

Yep new heat exchanger time, your best bet would be a Vaillant fixed price repair, it is around the £300 mark but includes all labour and parts and a warranty, they will change anything your boiler needs so the engineer keeps his/hers bonus, the heat exchanger alone will be near that

Yep new heat exchanger time, your best bet would be a Vaillant fixed price repair, it is around the £300 mark but includes all labour and parts and a warranty, they will change anything your boiler needs so the engineer keeps his/hers bonus, the heat exchanger alone will be near that
Either that or they'll declare it Beyond Economic Repair and stiff you for £90 for the privilege, which is what they did to one of my customers a few weeks ago :mad::mad::mad:

• Thanks
Either that or they'll declare it Beyond Economic Repair and stiff you for £90 for the privilege, which is what they did to one of my customers a few weeks ago :mad::mad::mad:
Just call them and ask, sorry to hear that @muggles has had that experience, I never have , but I respect him so best you check it out, as said I have never had that problem

• Thanks
To be fair it was a Glow-worm rather than a Vaillant, but it's still Group Service of course, and the same heat exchangers. I wasn't there but my customer said the engineer was very abrupt and seemed like he didn't want to do the job as soon as he walked in the door. Maybe just a bad egg rather than an indication of the company as a whole

To be fair it was a Glow-worm rather than a Vaillant, but it's still Group Service of course, and the same heat exchangers. I wasn't there but my customer said the engineer was very abrupt and seemed like he didn't want to do the job as soon as he walked in the door. Maybe just a bad egg rather than an indication of the company as a whole
Never meant to offend in any way Andrew, sorry if my post came across as that,just recommended a FPR as in my opinion was the best option for the OP, manus engineers are under so much pressure these days

Thanks both for your input, much appreciated

I switched the boiler off this morning and increased pressure to around 2 bar. Put a bucket under the condensate pipe and saw this about 4 hours later

What was the pressure at 4 hours later? thats not a lot of water considering there would still be condensation collecting in the heat exchanger for a short while after use and working its way down through trap etc

However that definitely isnt the normal colour of condensate (its normally no different to tap water to the eye) however on occasion you do get a orange"ish" material building up in the condensate trap similiar to that colour.

• Thanks
I can’t remember to be honest, I’ll need to run the test again. I’ll aim for about 12 hours next time, so will have to find the right time in the next couple of weeks.

What I can say is there was almost nothing in the bucket after the first hour, and that quantity built up steadily over the 4 hours.

Could I add some dye through a rad and see if that ends up in the bucket? Or could that open up a load of different problems?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back