Boiler pressure, post rad swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noted that there's already an ongoing thread about boiler pressures, but I don't want to hijack someone else's issue.

We've got a 12 month old Ideal Logic C30 running five rads in a bungalow. Yes, just five rads.

We had a bedroom rad changed the other day, from a monstrous and useless 1900mm wide single panel to a modern 1000mm T22. All well, or so I thought. About an hour after the Gas Safe engineer left we discovered that the hot water taps were dry. I called the engineer, and it turned out that he'd left the filling taps open on the boiler. The pressure was sky high and the PRV had operated. I turned the loop off and bled the system down to just under 2 bars; all appears to be operating OK.

On Tuesday, the day of the boiler fitting, the pressure gauge showed 1.35 bars: since then its dropped to 1.3. It feels to me as if that small drop isn't anything to worry about at this stage, and all the rad valves feel dry and there's no sign of any water under the boiler. If any joints under the suspended floor are weeping there's plenty of crawling room within that forest of spiders' webs for a pipe check and If any leaks do show themselves I'll call the engineer.

However my question is this: will a temporary leap up to 4 bars have done the boiler any harm? It was only that high for about an hour, I reckon, and the PRV hasn't leaked since. There are no fault codes on the panel.

Sponsored Links
The PRV should operate at 3 bar.
The pressure change you have seen is quite likely to be small pockets of air finding their way out via the auto air vent in the boiler.
Keep your eye on the PRV pipe for drips.

The PRV should operate at 3 bar.
The pressure change you have seen is quite likely to be small pockets of air finding their way out via the auto air vent in the boiler.
Keep your eye on the PRV pipe for drips.
Thanks, just checked it now and its dry. I believe that if a PRV post-operation continues to drip it will need to be replaced, so will keep an eye on it.

If it's only 12 months old then you'll probably get away with it. The system nor PRV is really old enough to have affected/clogged the seal in the valve, so it will probably sit back down again. If it was an issue you would already see dripping all the time

Sponsored Links
If it's only 12 months old then you'll probably get away with it. The system nor PRV is really old enough to have affected/clogged the seal in the valve, so it will probably sit back down again. If it was an issue you would already see dripping all the time
Many thanks for the reassurance. It’s still dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back