Boiler pressures dropping - can this be the problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, newbie here!

The pressure on my combi boiler is dropping from 1.5 to about zero in 10 days. I have found 2 VERY small leaks, both from radiator connecting pipes (roughly 10 drops a day from both) Can any tell me if that could be the only cause of the pressure drop? Would even a small leak cause the pressure to drop so much?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
10 days to lose 1.5bar is quite good ie it is a slow pressure drop.
Try sorting those little leaks out to see if it makes a difference.
Apart from leaks on the system/boiler, the other normal suspects are pressure relief valve letting by and a damaged/deflated expansion vessel.
But as your drop is slow, I would bet it is those weepy rad pipes.

Graham

I thought 10 day was fast! I Just see a very small puddle of water under 2 radiators. I hope those are the only leaks!

Sponsored Links
Not all the water will drip. Some will evaporate off the hot pipes before it has time to drip.

Not all the water will drip. Some will evaporate off the hot pipes before it has time to drip.

If that was the case the leak would either become visible when the system cools down or stop leaking. At least that answers why you usually post about hourly rates.

Don't be silly. You do know about expansion don't you? And contraction too? And how sometimes things leak when they are hot and sometimes when they are cold? What do you really do for a living?

:rolleyes:
Provided the system is installed properly and the user is more intelligent than Joe, the heating will be off at night. That means it would not evaporate very quickly and you'd see the wet spot in the morning.

Small leaks can cause the pressure to drop just a sure as big leaks, just not as fast.
Are the leaks on straight bits of pipe or near joints?
You could of course have more leaks in places that you can't see.
How long have you had this problem?

Provided the system is installed properly and the user is more intelligent than Joe, the heating will be off at night.

No-one is more intelligent than Joe. You should have realised that by now. ;)

Don't be silly. You do know about expansion don't you? And contraction too? And how sometimes things leak when they are hot and sometimes when they are cold? What do you really do for a living?

You don't have a clue do you. Stick to being a dodgy developer.

I've had the problem for about a month. The leak is at the joint which meets the radiator (both leaks) I see very small puddles after I get home from work. The radiators only comes one for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I think (& hope) they are the only two leaks.

You don't have a clue do you. Stick to being a dodgy developer.

I've got more than a clue about you snobby boy. (Fancy him talking to a commoner like wot I am). :rolleyes:

Provided the system is installed properly and the user is more intelligent than Joe, the heating will be off at night.

No-one is more uneducated and belligerant than Joe. You should have realised that by now. ;)

I agree mr Ninety :D

Oh dear. Has it come this - changing my quotes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back