Boiler & pressurised cylinder choices!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

We are completely renovating a house top to bottom and we need to start choosing our central heating and hot water systems. We've decided on a pressurized water cylinder & boiler set up, and have tested we have sufficient pressure & water flow on the mains.

We need a boiler to cope with a 200m2 house with plus 2 bathrooms. I wondered if anyone had views on the Worcester Bosch 30 CDI boiler, good or bad? I see its earns a Which? best buy, but I was reading some people don't rate Worcester since they were bought by Bosch.

We are looking at megflow cylinders and their cheaper counter parts - does anyone have any good/bad/ugly advice on these? (We are putting this on ground floor in our utility room next to the boiler, as we've heard they can vibrate terribly when in loft.)

Many thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
You need to do a heat loss calc to size boiler, 30kw would probably heat about 17or18 rads and hot water.
WB are ok

Megaflow and Worcester are a triumph over marketing.

Average product. Above average price tag.

My opinions on Which are easily found on these forums too and yet to be proved wrong.

However, not wishing to start another argument with the Googleers of the forum (you know who you are ;) ) this topic is covered ad nauseum.

A little search will reveal all the answers you are likely to need.

Ok good point - we will have about 15 radiators I think all in, so sounds about right, but I'll check.

Any view on other boilers brands or pressurized cylinders? :)

Sponsored Links
30kW sounds OTT to me. My boiler is 15kW with 12 rads and hot water to do (well before we replaced 5 of them for under floor heating).

Thank you Dan - go on annoy the others - tell me your views? I'm starting a forum search anyhow to uncover them! Any recommendations on boilers / cylinders in your view?

We are also having 2 bathrooms (2 showers, 1 bath) would that make a difference to the 15kw/30kw?

Thank you :)

The installer has recommended a Worcester Bosch 30 CDI, and Mega Flow. I'm looking to see if that is what we should have based on other views. I've done some research online and found negative press, so came here to see if there were any other views out of interest.

Nah - already had one court case (which I kinda won) due to my views ;). Let it be known though that Which are very far from impartial, the reviews are taken from a very small sample of people that are not representative of the nationwide market.

2 million plus boilers sold a year in the UK; and Which base their opinions on circa 5000 respondents - all of whom are Which? readers. This is what I found from their own website BTW.

My boiler choices are:

Intergas
Atag (if not going in a habited room).
Vaillant

Worcester are in the "if I have to" bracket.

Cylinders - OSO for top dollar, RM or Albion for everyone else.

Boiler output should be set to the heat load of the house.

Cylinder should be sized to demand.

Guessing a 210 litre for you. Tricky to say much more without visiting.

Thank you I really appreciate your views - sorry to hear about the court issues :oops:

I will do some research on those brands :)

Glow worm ultra power. Cylinder and boiler all in one.
Will out perform a 300litre unvented cylinder.

Alternatively look into ACV cylinder which have incredible reheat times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back