Boiler choices and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would really like a steer on a new boiler. We've had 4 companies to quote including British Gas, the advice seems mixed on what we require?
We have a 4 bed (14 radiators - 2 are the old cast type) terrenced property with 2 bathrooms (1 bathroom is fed from a separate storage tank in the attic). We currently have a Vaillant but not sure if it's a TURBOmax 824 or 828 (they look similar).

We were looking for a quality boiler and broadly settled on either a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch (preferred) but are open to suggestions. so far we it has been recommended that we take anything from the following: -

1. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25Si (other 3 quotes said we should steer clear of SI and go for CDI)
2. Worcester Bosch Greenstar 29CDI
3. Ideal or Vaillant 31Kw boiler
4. Worcester Bosch 34CDI or 38 CDI (which would require our gas feed to increase from 22mm to 28mm -also seems too much for our place)

Now I'm sure there is an appropriate suggestion in here but the range is huge and when we went back to them to check the recommendations from other estimates most said' well if that's what you want...' trouble is I don't know what I want! I did read posts that said over doing a boiler can be as bad as under calling it. Cost ranges from £2200 to £3500 which isn't the point I just need a boiler that will heat the house (properly) and not break down after 1-2 years.

Finally is there a need to flush the radiators, one company used a chemical flush another a cold water flush (they've been in place c. 14 years)

Any help would be great!

Regards

Sponsored Links
You will get lots of different opinions on here.

Sorry, for a combi look at the hot water performance the Atag is particularly good with the flue heat recovery

Have they measured your dynamic pressure and flow on your main. there are other system choices I would take into consideration if I was quoting it. Like whether it needed an additional expansion vessel

There are lots of threads on here regarding boiler choice. Mine would be

Intergas, Atag, ideal, Vaillant and so the list goes on with Worcester at the bottom just after Feroli and Ariston

There is a british standard for flushing the system, I always prefer to power flush, again some would disagree.

Find an engineer that you trust and have faith in

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back