Boiler choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have been going round in circles trying to choose a new boiler. Been reading online and asking around and have narrowed the list to the below:

1. Ideal Vogue C32. Cost 2800.
2. Worcester Bosch 8000 30kw. Cost 2800
3. Vaillant ecotec pro 28kw. Cost 2200.
4. Viessman 50w. 30kw. Cost 2000. Or 100w cost 2800.

Of the above the Worcester has no open therm and is an alu h ex, viessman is particularly sensitive to a dirty system and expensive parts. Vaillant/ideal have a lot of plastic.

The general consensus is the install is more important. So assuming a perfect install which one would everyone stake their life on lasting 20y hassle free.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Frankly none of the above even if I didn't work for Vokera and my life doesn't depend upon it but my wife does (we have one).

Vokera Unica Max 30 or 35C depending on your cold main. Large stainless bore hex, OpenTherm with or without weather compensation.

Plastic is not bad, there re many advantages and even if you do worry about plastic, ease your concerns with an expansion vessel on the cold main (whatever the boiler). The Viessmann is plastic and 10 bar, the others are 8 bar, even the brass waterblocks. (It's not the strongest part that matters, it's the weakest; some brass is 6bar maximum pressure).

As an introductory offer with the new Hi Comfort controls the Unica Max10 year warranty is upped to 12 years.

What is the heating load, how big is the house? You need a boiler that modulates and some of the above do not.

You're right, the install is the important part.

Thank you Vulcan. Great insight. The choice is somewhat limited by the online boiler installers. I haven't come across the vokera. I'm tempted to stick to mainstream for parts, servicing, problems etc. Ruled out intergas due to this as well.

Modulation is important, the vaillant is the lowest at 4.1. The rest are 10.1 with ideal at 7.1.

Currently have a dying 24i greenstar junior. 4 bed, bath + shower. Always felt the current boiler not up to the job. Rad output I calculate at about 12-14kw.

Thank you Vulcan. Great insight. The choice is somewhat limited by the online boiler installers. I haven't come across the vokera. I'm tempted to stick to mainstream for parts, servicing, problems etc. Ruled out intergas due to this as well.

Modulation is important, the vaillant is the lowest at 4.1. The rest are 10.1 with ideal at 7.1.

Currently have a dying 24i greenstar junior. 4 bed, bath + shower. Always felt the current boiler not up to the job. Rad output I calculate at about 12-14kw.

OK, well 1:10 is lower than 1:7 and 1:4 so look at it that way.

Check the flow rate at your cold tap in the kitchen with a measuring jug and timer. If you have 11l/m go 25KW boiler, if 13 go 12l/m and 30kW, 15 go 14l/m and 35kW unless you like really hot water at the tap.

Viessmann isn't really mainline, more niche than us but they spend a lot sponsoring online installers so that's why you see them a lot.

Wait to see other input but probably best from installers rather than a householder with one boiler.

Sponsored Links
OK, well 1:10 is lower than 1:7 and 1:4 so look at it that way.

Check the flow rate at your cold tap in the kitchen with a measuring jug and timer. If you have 11l/m go 25KW boiler, if 13 go 12l/m and 30kW, 15 go 14l/m and 35kW unless you like really hot water at the tap.

Viessmann isn't really mainline, more niche than us but they spend a lot sponsoring online installers so that's why you see them a lot.

Wait to see other input but probably best from installers rather than a householder with one boiler.
Awesome. Thanks, I'll check the flow when I get home. Yes, agree on the viessman, I understand getting parts can be a pain.

I'm leaning towards the vogue and worcester. 12 and 10 year warranties respectively. Vaillant out because of the modulation and viessman out due to peace of mind with repairs.

Would be great to hear other thoughts.

Thanks

I haven't come across the vokera. I'm tempted to stick to mainstream for parts, servicing, problems etc.
Worth noting Vokera have been in the UK Market for many years, just not as widely specified in recent years for some reason. (Possibly due to some of the other manufacturers offering incentives to installers.)

I have been going round in circles trying to choose a new boiler. Been reading online and asking around and have narrowed the list to the below:

And pretty much all of your research is based on marketing hype.

Wether you've read it yourself or listened to others who've read it.

The installer you choose and the system you have is much more likely to be the achilles heel of a boiler replacement.

Reactions: CBW
I ignored the profit driven marketing hype and chose a Johnson & Starley Reno 16 ( not a combi )
That was 11 years ago and it still runs efficiently and without problems.

People researching what boiler to purchase and who have 25 minutes to waste might benefit from listening to the recording of a Mr. Know-It-All's call in to Vokera radio

Thanks all. I think it's fair to say there is no easy answer to the best boiler question.

General consensus is most combis last 15 years. So I think the decision for me is go for the ideal vogue with 12 years warranty. Maintained well and installed properly I'm hoping this can go 15 year +.

Reactions: CBW
Can I ask why you’re going for online installers as opposed to local independent installers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back