New boiler choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on replacing my current open vented system with Glow Worm Hide Away 60B boiler with a combi system. System is being fitted in a 3 bed detached house with one bathroom and seven radiators. Shower is electric for now, but may change. I've had a few quotes and two of them are standing out to me, and both quotes are from people I have been recommended by friends & family.

Quote A offered a 30kW Ariston system for £1600, coming with a five year guarantee (or seven year for an extra £200). He also quoted £1800 for fitting equivalent Worcester Bosch or Vailant.

Quote B offered a 30kW Ideal Independent boiler for £1200, coming again with a five year guarantee. He did say he'd be able to fit WB, Vailant etc. if that's what I wanted but would have to look into how much it would be. He did say he thought 30kW might be a little high for my house, suggesting maybe a 28kW instead. He quoted the 30kW Ideal because Ideal don't offer a 28kW in that model.

Now, I know WB and Vailant are a couple of the big names, but how do Ariston and Ideal compare? I know Ideal get a bad write up because of some of their boilers of old but looking online it seems the Ideal Logic/Independent are getting some good reviews. I can't seem to find too much on Ariston, what's peoples experience of their boilers? My head is telling me to spend the extra and go for something like the Vailant ecoTEC plus, but can Ideal or Ariston compete?

Sponsored Links
And at those prices for a conversion to combi, i would be concerned about a proper job being done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I know it's a repetitive topic, but I promise I did Google it and search the forum too. My minds made up that I'll go for a Vaillant.

I know both quotes are cheap, but they are mates rates. I'm swaying towards the more expensive of the two fitters, he's done plenty of work over the past twenty years on my other halfs uncle's properties.

Go with the Independent + out of those choices, 7 year warranty and better than any Vaillant.

Decided to go for the Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 in the end, hopefully getting installed next week :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back