Advice needed for choice of new boiler

Womble said:
how do you know if a plumber is competent and honest before booking?).
Womble, you live in London, probably Wimbledon Common? But if not south of the river, you might be in Agile's territory. He is an extremely competent, experienced and reasonably priced boiler repairer as you can see from his posts here. His email will be in his profile. South of the river might possibly be covered by ChrisR, equally competent, experienced, etc. So really your spoilt for choice!

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The installation cost should be transparent whichever boiler is to be fitted.

E.G. say £700 plus the cost of the boiler, to include power flushing!

However I still dont see why your existing boiler cannot be repaired.

Tony

I wondered if you live in Wimbledon - as I need a new combi boiler fitting and from these posts it appears you might be local - I have posted today, under Which boiler? CarrieKingston

maybe dhw stat faulty or gas valve not regulating properly.Easy to check if you use a decent RGI which there appears to be several who post here.

Regarding the Baxi platinum would anybody know wether it would be a straight swop for a Baxi Bahama in terms of pipe sizeing , distance`s etc
Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump the post, just out of interest, anyone had much experiance with these baxi platinums? The 5 year warranty is very appealling, but i'm a vaillant man myself. What are they priced like compared to say an ecotec 824?

Always made me wonder why you need 5 years warranty, do they break down every year? :LOL:

TIA Sam

Slightly more expensive.

5 Year warranty is a marketing gimmick to try to win disgruntled installers back to Baxi :rolleyes:

As I always say and everyone shouts me down, cheap boiler with built in extended warranty = overpriced cheap boiler :rolleyes:

5 year warranty my a**e. It is warranty with strings. How many clients get their boiler serviced every year? Not many I bet the answer is.

To qualify for the 5 year warranty, boiler will need to be serviced every year.

For those of you that fit the Baxi 105he and have a PTS in your area ,they are doing the Potterton Performa 30he pack (flue and mechanical clock)which is the same boiler for the same price including vat as plumb centre do the 105he pack excluding vat .

Any extended g`tee has to have boiler serviced each year and is also built into price of boiler to start with.

What is the difference between the baxi/potterton platinium/gold range other than price and 2/5 year g`tee`s

What worries me about the present "quality" aims of manufacturers is how short the guarantees are. If they are only prepared to go 5 years these boilers must be rubbish.

To me a 5 year guarantee is worth no more than a 2 year one on a boiler that is all samey inside. My problem is am I selling something which is economic to repair in 15 to 20 years? I wouldn't want to think that something I am selling for £1500 to £2000 was a short lived as 10 years.

If I had sold some of the pups we've had recently like the Ideal Response I would hang my head in shame.

Built in obsolescence! Ideal 'officially' told us 10 years was the expected life of their Isar/Icos on the traing course I attended there when they first came out :eek:

gas4you said:
Built in obsolescence! Ideal 'officially' told us 10 years was the expected life of their Isar/Icos on the traing course I attended there when they first came out :eek:
I've lost count of the number of times I've been told something 'official' by someone giving a training course.

In case anyone is still fooled by this phenomenon, the 'secrets' that trainers reveal are utter b*llocks. Oh, to be sure they believe what they're telling you, but it's guaranteed to grab your attention because it has to be something that you couldn't possibly have known before, in order to give them supreme credibility as a trainer.

With the "built in obsolescence" secret, have you noticed that it can't be disproved, because (a) officially, the company would deny it, and (b) the 'secret' is known only to those in the know, which means the trainer can tap the side of his/her nose when telling you. :rolleyes:

as with most things you never get the full truth,a modern good quality gas boiler will last 10/15 years if you look after it.this means it must be serviced/checked at least once a year,worc reckon their greenstars will only need a major service[complete strip and clean] 2/3 years, rest of the time a few simple checks is all that is needed. a fga is a must as the readings dictate when it is serviced.the days of a boiler lasting 25/30 years are long gone 10/15 if you are lucky with a full service history and a very hefty purchase price.have to go and change a gas valve on a se24p
15 months old. ideals response was it is out of warranty :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back