Replacement Combi Boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of replacing my Heatline S30 which was already installed when I purchased the house.
I have looked at the following combi boilers as a possible replacement.

Vaillant ecoTEC 831
Ariston Genus HE 30

As far as I can see both boilers have similar outputs (30kW) and similar flow rates 12.7 (vaillant) & 12.9 (Ariston) etc.
I am no expert by any means but I was rather impressed by the 5 Year warranty offered by Ariston.
We have a Vaillant (not sure what model) at my Dads house and its very good. My brother In law has a Vaillant and he is always complaining about the diverter valve going on it!
We had an Ariston combi boiler (not condensing) at our previous rent house and never had any problems with it.
The Heatline we currently have has not been looked after (long story) so needs replacing. One thing I love about the Heatline though is the DHW rate, the shower force feels so much better than the Vaillant at Dads house, although this could be due to Vaillant being a lower output model, not sure.

Any suggestions which to go for or any other make I should consider.
I can currently get the boilers at the following prices included the flue and VAT. Are they good prices?

Vaillant ecoTEC 831 - £1055
Ariston Genus HE 30 - £955

Thanks

PS I would really appreciate some constructive feedback please, rather than "This {insert brand} is s**t, dont buy" or "This {insert brand} is the best, buy it"

Sponsored Links
Vaillant or Worcester would get my vote.

If you go to the right installer, he will offer you 5yrs no quibble on both.

There are no exceptional deals on the internet for boilers, they are all priced similarly to what we get in the merchants.

PS: Ariston are arguably no better than Heatline.....Heatline are owned by....Vaillant.

Constructive feed back ?? Well do not purchase any boiler that use's an alloy heat exchanger , stainless steel only , Vaillant's use stainless steel , Ariston I am not sure of ?? Worcestor use alloy stay well clear !!

I approached several alloy boiler manu's a few years ago including Worcestor with a view to installing 2 of there boilers on a swimming pool via a heat exc which would have meant that there boilers would have been condensing 24 /7 they did not want to know , stainless steel manu's Viessman for one said no problem take a look in my profile that is what can happen to alloy if you condense them to much !!

Sponsored Links
keep ur origional system better than combi boilers they only last 2 years tops!

I see the jokers are out in force today :rolleyes:

On the shower thing. The force of the shower has nothing to do with the boiler. It is down to your mains pressure and whether there are restrictions in the pipework or the shower itself, also the design of the shower head. If you have a good shower experience now then you should have one with the new boiler.

The only effect of the boiler is whether it is powerful enough to heat the amount of water flowing through the shower. If not then the water will not be hot enough and you will have to turn down (or "up", depending on your shower design!) the shower flow to compensate. If your new boiler is nominally as powerful as your old one then you will have no problem.

I install both boilers and some people like the vaillant and for the price premium i dont have any issue,they have a stainless steel heat exchanger made at the ginnoni factory,the hydroblock is fairly standard and made by grundfos,so most of the innards are fairly industry standard

The genus also has stainless steel heat exchanger made by ginnoni and same type of hydroblock.I have installed quite few of the genus range and never had any problems with them and the 5 year warranty gives people peace of mind without any extra cost

I would not fit worcester bosch boiler personally,funny how the bargain basement boiler manufacturers use ali heat exchangers and make cheap and cheerful boiler yet worcester somehow have convinced people this premium product using the same type of alloy heat exchanger is worth paying what they charge for it .

Its your money and he who pays the piper calls the tune,thats my sort of unbiased opinion! :LOL: :LOL:

Go with the Vaillant got a good name for Quality
DO NOT touch the Ariston they have a good name for S**T!! ;)

Had a look at new Ariston boilers. They are no different from other stainless steel HE boilers.

I mainly repair and service boilers and have to say the boilers are far better than their technical service department.

On the other hand, WB techy department is dog's whatsit but boilers are c5ap

Be cautious of Aristons "5 Year Warranty" they have more get out clauses tha ;) n your local MP!!

Vaillant or Worcester would get my vote.

PS: Ariston are arguably no better than Heatline.....Heatline are owned by....Vaillant.

Do you mean the Vaillant is no better than the Ariston theoretically?

Constructive advice, don't buy any boiler they are "all" ****e, stick in some electric heaters and an immersion heater.

Boilerman2 can you please point out where i can get this literature with all the clauses,I would be very interested in reading this

can trust you to do this promptly,thanks in advance

Vaillant and Ariston use the same heat exchanger which is stainless steel. I hold no torch for aluminium exchangers since the Trisave boiler (Having said that I have one in my house at the moment but not from choice). It's been in about 8 years and I wait...

The ali doesn't bother me overly, it's the amount of plastic in the boiler that concerns me and the number of joints. Too much plastic in the Vaillant, I've seen five melted in the past five years.

I favour the Veissmann, two joints, one in, one out, one exchanger, easy to see the whole exchanger during testing in the factory, less plastic. There are probably better boilers but I haven't used any of them. Just my sixpennyworth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back