boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am still looking into installing a combi boiler. the house is 4 bed detached with 11 radiators and one bathroom. I am looking at vaillant ecotec plus 837 or 831, ecotec exclusive 832 or 838 and worcester bosch cdi 30 or 37. Any views on which is best make, which size to go for. The ecotec exclusive seems quite large, is there much difference in performance to the ecotec plus models?

Sponsored Links
Vaillant all the way, as for which one it depends on the size of your rooms and the resultant heat requirements, and also your total hot water requirements. The Exclusives will give you better hot water output and also have longer warranties (3 years against 2 for the Plus models)

You say there is one bathroom, this is a little unusual for a four-bed house, are there any shower rooms/en suites or does everyone share the one room? Is this a new build or an existing house? If it's existing, what rating is the boiler in there at the moment? Is it a combi? Does it provide you with adequate hot water or would you like more?

Exclusives are not worth the extra money and can be a pain in the a*se.

The standard 831 or 837 will be your best bet, but if you want a smaller and cheaper boiler, just as reliable and as powerful, with a longer warranty, the Broag will take some beating.

I won't fit Vaillant anymore. Crap company and crap after sales service :mad:

Vailant and WB are both good boilers. At least at the moment.
Vailant is working hard on making a name as the company with the worst attitude in the market; they all but refuse to give support, and more and more installers drop them.
My supplier now refuses to contact them to verify partnumbers which drives the price of repairs up quite drastically.
I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
If you, as a customer, want some help or info, be prepared to be on hold for up to an hour on their premium rate number.

Sponsored Links
The house isn't new (1968). Have one electric shower and am replacing a cylinder system. Also have a loft conversion. Am thinking the 831 may be too small. Think the current boiler is a baxi solo ?1.8

As always, size the combi for your HW use, not heating.

If you have an electric shower, I presume you mainly have showers rather than baths? If so the 831 will be ok.

Have a look at the Broag 28C or even the 35C.

You need to check your cold mains flow and pressure . If it is poor a larger combi will be wasting your money.

Check your Hot water flow rate and choose a Combi that will heat that flow rate, any less and you WILL be dissapointed with the hot water performance

BROAG AVANTA 35c or 39c, Fantastic Boilers, fantastic aftersales and support ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back