Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not bad at basic plumbing, do all my own radiator installations, pumps etc but have a problem I can't solve.

I have a system boiler not a combi, its a Gloworm. When there is a demand for hot water only the boiler comes on for a short time and goes off. When there is a demand for domestic hot water and central heating it works fine and I get hot water in both systems. Originally I thought it was the old themostat on the water tank and changed it for a new one. That didnt work. I have changed the old pump as a part of a preventative maintenance programme so thats the not the problem. Thinking it could be the boiler I had it serviced with a clean bill of health. The guy that serviced it investigated the problem and said he was sure it was a faulty diverter valve which was 18 years old. So I bought a new Honeywell power head for the valve and fitted that, checking at the time that the valve was actually moving into all 3 positions (Water / CH / Water & CH) which it was. The problem though persists. It's as though when there is a demand for water only the valve isn't opening to that position but as I said I have ftted a brand new powerhead on the 3 port diverter valve. I'm now a bit stumped so came here looking for some suggestions or even answers.

Sponsored Links
Have you fitted any type of air release on the coil of the cylinder ? it sounds like its airlocked.

Have you fitted any type of air release on the coil of the cylinder ? it sounds like its airlocked.
No, nothing like that. Air block would effect the water system though would'nt it, which works fine when the CH is on.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect OP has y plan as he mentioned a 3 port, could be W but they are few and far between these days

Hi

Do you have a gate valve fitted as a bypass and is it open enough?

HTH

Did you check that the boiler and pump were being activated when you checked the valve was operating in hot water and central heating positions?

I'm not bad at basic plumbing, do all my own radiator installations, pumps etc but have a problem I can't solve.

I have a system boiler not a combi, its a Gloworm. When there is a demand for hot water only the boiler comes on for a short time and goes off. When there is a demand for domestic hot water and central heating it works fine and I get hot water in both systems. Originally I thought it was the old themostat on the water tank and changed it for a new one. That didnt work. I have changed the old pump as a part of a preventative maintenance programme so thats the not the problem. Thinking it could be the boiler I had it serviced with a clean bill of health. The guy that serviced it investigated the problem and said he was sure it was a faulty diverter valve which was 18 years old. So I bought a new Honeywell power head for the valve and fitted that, checking at the time that the valve was actually moving into all 3 positions (Water / CH / Water & CH) which it was. The problem though persists. It's as though when there is a demand for water only the valve isn't opening to that position but as I said I have ftted a brand new powerhead on the 3 port diverter valve. I'm now a bit stumped so came here looking for some suggestions or even answers.

Change the whole 3-way valve.
Heats not getting away from the boiler when it's in the h/w only position it's what we experts call "lock out"!
servotech,

Change the whole 3-way valve.
Heats not getting away from the boiler when it's in the h/w only position it's what we experts call "lock out"!
servotech,
Thanks mate, sounds like good advice and fits the symptoms. I will do that but I did take the power head off again and check the paddle on the valve was moving freely to all three positions. What causes the problem?

General wear and tare (sticking).
I almost wrote wear and tear :)
servotech
Sorry to say changing the valve hasnt solved the problem. I now have a new header unit and 3 port valve. Upon inspection of the old valve after I removed it, it did seem to be in perfect working order. I fitted the new one anyway, to be sure but the problem persists, as in the boiler shuts down when there is only a demand for hot water but works fine when there is a demand for central heating or central heating and hot water.

Really scratching my head on this one now. Any more suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back