Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I hope somebody will be able to help me with my latest problem.

I have an Ideal boiler which would ignite then cut off immediatly - on investigating I found I had a lot of air in the system and that the boiler had a sensor in it which tripped.

I bled all radiators and the reset the sensor. Since then it now fires up, passes the internal checks and all works fine. After a period of time (10 mins or so) there is a whining/howling noise in the boiler and it trips out after a few seconds of this. The boiler then waits a few minutes and refires up again and continues like this.

After a while the boiler stops doing this as it overheats and needs to cool down. Letting it cool down then turning on again repeats this pattern.

Please help me

Sponsored Links
I did try to provide as much information as I could, I dont think it warrented that though.

KBlack -

Give the pros all of the details of your system - boiler, cylinder, controls etc, etc... -there are hundresds of different combinations so they could be guessing all night (well they wont they will just ignore you) :LOL:

The more informaton then the more chance of a diagnosis!

Sponsored Links
Lookintomyeyesnotaroundmyeyeslookintothemseewhaticanseelookaroundmyeyes.............:LOL:

What Kev was saying (as a trained psychic/psycho ! i am qualified to answer) is "what boiler do u have" - We have established its made by Ideal but what model is it.

Thanks.

Its a Ideal minimiser SE wall mounted gas fired, fanned flue condensing boiler

The thermostat and control panels are British Gas UP1 and RS1

There is a hotwater cylinder upstairs.

Just having a laff with you dude, no offence intended of course !

I assume the water pressure on teh boiler is ok ? 1-1.5 bar

U say you bled sum rads, did u fill up afterwards ?

It does not have a pressure gauge like some systems I have seen where you manually let in water its a system with a header tank in the loft and that fills the system.

I know you are having a laff with me its cool (prob coz boiler dont work!) :)

Ah ! No worries i have just read ur edited post re: the hot water cyl.

Sadly i have not done much work on this particular model but it sounds like an airlock in the pipework or faulty pump. Does the pipework from the boiler get hot when it is on ? If so does the heat appear to go anywhere - eg a radiator ?

Is there a manual air vent near your cylinder?
If so have you bled it?
Use a big screwdriver as a listening stick. Can you hear the impeller spinning or is it just a buzz or is it silent?
Is there mains voltage at the pump?
Chuck a towel underneath it to catch the dribble of water. Undo the big screw in the middle and stick a screwdriver in there. Does the shaft rotate?

Slugbabydotcom said:
Is there a manual air vent near your cylinder?
If so have you bled it?
Not that I can see

Slugbabydotcom said:
Use a big screwdriver as a listening stick. Can you hear the impeller spinning or is it just a buzz or is it silent?
I am deaf I am afraid and unable to tell did ask the wife and I got a puzzled look.

Slugbabydotcom said:
Is there mains voltage at the pump?
Yes there is

Slugbabydotcom said:
Chuck a towel underneath it to catch the dribble of water. Undo the big screw in the middle and stick a screwdriver in there. Does the shaft rotate?
Stick my screwdriver where?

Also I am having the same problem as before except after bleeding rads again I now have hot radiators upstairs but downstairs they are cold.

KBlack said:
Also I am having the same problem as before except after bleeding rads again I now have hot radiators upstairs but downstairs they are cold.

Defo sounds like an airlock problem. U can tell if the pump is running by removing the large screw on the front of it, catching any escaping water with a towel, and stick ur screwdriver into the "hole" where u have removed the large screw from. Ur screwdriver will rattle against the pump motor if it is moving ok.

As i have just mentioned it sounds like an airlock to me. If ur sure the pump is defo running, shut off each rad as they heat properly (eg all over its face, both pipes too). This should force the heat along pipework/to rads that arent heating at present.

Worth a try, good luck !

Pumps can be spinning away absolutely blocked with crud, so moving no water at all.
Being an Ideal minimiser it probably needs a service. They always need a service... 10 minures isn't bad for one of those.... :rolleyes: :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back