Boiler/ pump wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I’d appreciate any help as I'm trying to wire in a pump for my boiler a worcester bosch 70/90 using the s plan wiring diagram my boiler has 1,2 ,Live ,Neutral ,Earth ,3 but looking at the s plan wiring diagram it has a SL,Live,Earth,Neutral,PL any ideas how I go about wiring it up, 3 terminal isn’t in use.cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you have a wiring centre? The boiler has these connections but the pump kicks in when the boiler does (usually) when there’s a demand for heating/hot water/both. They’re not usually wired directly into the boiler. Any photos or diagrams of existing setup?

I just bought the house and the existing setup was the boiler was set to heat the radiators only and the hot water was heated via a back boiler using the fire I am trying to update it to have two port valves for separate heating on hw,radiators using wireless nest thermostat it’s just the pump connections I don’t understand where they connect is it in the wiring centre?

It’s John wards s plan diagram I’m going off if it helps

Attachments

• 65C9BC39-06A2-42C1-999D-FF97234AF20A.jpeg
    65C9BC39-06A2-42C1-999D-FF97234AF20A.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 802
Sponsored Links
That 10 strip in Johns video is inside the wiring centre, which is where the majority or wiring will be.

Sorry if I’m sounding stupid but the three wires from the pump do they go into the boiler connectors or the wiring center?

Pump needs a live for overrun which in that diagram is controlled by the boiler PL.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Some boilers have what is known as a pump overrun, so the pump is connected to special terminals specifically for it at the boiler. That way the pump can continue to run after the boiler has switched off to get rid of residual heat.

This is the type of system shown in the diagram that you posted earlier. In this case, PL is the terminal for 'Pump Live' and ptobably because you posted this diagram no doubt will be why @dilalio gave you the answer that he did.

a.JPG

However, other boilers don't have this facility, and looking at the wiring diagram for the WB 70/90 below, I don't see any pump wiring terminals, so it appears that yours doesn't.

Capture.JPG

Where there isn't a pump overrun, the pump will be controlled by the orange wires from the motorised valves exactly the same as the boiler is, so that the pump and boiler will be switched on and off together. In which case, the diagram below would apply. You can see that the Pump and Boiler N E L are connected together at the wiring centre as @The Novice has said.

S-Plan-Wiring.gif

I have seen a few instances where the pump N E L has been connected directly to the boiler N E L instead of being connected via a wiring centre, or even directly to the orange wire at the motorised valve. It depends upon the personal preferences of the original installer, and the layout of the various heating system components in your home. As you system was only for heating, originally you may not even have a full wiring centre, just junction box or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back