Boiler Wiring - do I need SwL and Pump live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing an old programmer with a new 6 terminal programmer and have a few questions.

1) What system do I have? I have a 3-port valve, a pump hot water storage tank, a normal boiler. Is this a Y-Plan setup?

2) I have the wiring diagram for a Y-Plan and it all looks straight forward except that I have two additional wires from the boiler that aren't on the wiring diagram. The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 30-100. I took the from off of it and the two wires are coming from Swl (Switched live) and Pump Live. My diagram simply has Live/Neutral/Earth going to the boiler. Do I need to use the SwL and Pump Live wires or can I just use the LNE wires?

Many thanks,
Warren

Sponsored Links
Far easier if you say what clock your removing and replacing it with

I'm rewiring from scratch (I have the ceiling down and can access all of the wiring).
The old programmer is a "Controller 3000" from Smiths Industries and the new programmer is a Sunvic 207 XLS.

So do I need a Y Plan?
Is there a wiring diagram around that includes the Pump Live and SwL connections?

Sponsored Links
If you have a Smiths Centroller 3000 then I suggest you stop now.

This uses low voltage thermistor sensor on the cylinders and the room stat. Not only will they go pop together with possibly your new programmer, but the wiring may not be 230V rated to these items.

Seek professional advice regarding assessing the wiring or buy a reconditioned Centroller, they are available from Parts Center or from the new owners.

See http://www.centroller.co.uk/html/body_centroller_3000.html

Thanks!

It's definately 240V and I plan to replace the cylinder thermo and the room thermo as well.

Simond come on get up to speed from th original post did you not gather ceilings where down it was going o be rewired and new stats etc where to be used....

To OP we do not have crystal balls we cannot guess what you are going to do , its not a pulling teeth exercise say what youare ACTUALLYdoing and what your intentions are

Sorry, should have been a lot clearer.

So the questions that remain are:

1) Am I wiring for a Y-Plan?

2) In my Y-Plan wiring diagram (standard one with 10 terminal block, 3-port valve) it doesnt mention SwL and Pump L. Which terminals should these be wired into?

Thanks for the help so far.

There is 2 types of 3 port valves does yours have 3 wires or 5 wires

If all else fails, just remove the pump live from the terminal in the Y plan diagram and use a spare terminal to connect it to the pump live back from the boiler pcb.

Its a 5 wire 3 port valve.

Ok, I'll do that with the Pump Live, what about the SwL? Where does that connect to?

It's on your 3 port diagram, labelled 'boiler'.

The permanent live is, er, permanent, and is not on the diagram.

With such a poor level of electrical understanding how will you know when it is wired OK? Will you use merely the DIYer's safety check, eg: it now works so it must be safe?

If the, er permanent L, is not on the diagram why are the, er permanent N and E?

I'll probably check it all by chucking a bucket of water onto the terminal block.

Because the std Y Plan diagram assumes the boiler is an old permanent pilot model.

Which doesn't need a permanent er live.

Remember to take your shoes off. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back