Boiler recommendation to replace Alpha HE CB25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 year old Alpha HE CB25 combi to heat part of our offices (approx. 12 rads) and supply hot water. It's spent more time broken than working and rather than try and get it fixed i just want to replace it with something more reliable. Office are only 4 years old and it was a new build.

Cost really isn't an issue just reliability i'm after. The the 1st quote we've had is for a Glow Worm Ultracom2 30CXI and i just wanted opinions on this boiler or suggested alternatives if you have any

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
what are the problems that you are having with your Alpha ? to be honest they that model is not great but not the worst either, I suspect that you may have low pressure problems in which case no matter what you fit the same problems will continue

We have a 4 year old Alpha HE CB25 combi to heat part of our offices (approx. 12 rads) and supply hot water. It's spent more time broken than working and rather than try and get it fixed i just want to replace it with something more reliable. Office are only 4 years old and it was a new build.

Cost really isn't an issue just reliability i'm after. The the 1st quote we've had is for a Glow Worm Ultracom2 30CXI and i just wanted opinions on this boiler or suggested alternatives if you have any

Many thanks.

The Glow worms fine.

A Vaillant 831 would be better though IMO

what are the problems that you are having with your Alpha ? to be honest they that model is not great but not the worst either, I suspect that you may have low pressure problems in which case no matter what you fit the same problems will continue

It just seems to constantly need re-filling via the loop or won't fire on demand for hot water. I'm not aware if any low pressure issues with our supply and I could get an engineer out to thoroughly check it over but a quick google seems to show that it's not got the best reputation anyway so I think it's better to start afresh. In a perfect world I'd get something with a 7 or 10 year warranty so it'd be 1 less thing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
If you are forever repressurising the system a new boiler may not help, unless the leak you have is on the alpha.

As suspected it is not your boiler that is at fault but your system , no matter which boiler you fit you will still have the same problems you need to get your system sorted

Thanks for your comments, apparently it is the boiler that is leaking (or so my works engineer tells me)

The heating side is adequately covered by this size of boiler, is there anything worth looking at that would increase the hot water performance, the furthest tap is maybe 50 metres away from the boiler and currently struggles to get any decent temp once we've waited a minute or so for the hot water to arrive at the tap!

Well if there is a fault with the boiler leaking then it can be fixed.

Is your "works engineer" gas registered and experienced at boiler repairs?

You seem to have been given a quotation for a more budget boiler even though you say cost is not very important.

Most would suggest Vaillant, Viessmann or Intergas.

The solution to the long wait for hot water would be to fit a circulating return. This is usually used in conjunction with a cylinder but would often be possible with a combi and more clever engineer.

Tony

Sorry, when I said my works engineer he's absolutely nothing to do with the boiler other than it's him who has to constantly top it up!!

I agree it probably can be fixed but i think i'm happy to part with cash for a new, more reliable one as the general consensus on Alpha's seems to be that they're pretty poor quality. I guess the purpose of the question is should I spend £1600 to swap to the Glow Worm or would it be better to spend more on a better make?

I like the idea of a circulating return though, will discuss that with whoever we give the job to.

Your Alpha should have had a five year warrantee so all repairs should have been covered at no cost to you.

They are not the most reliable boilers but if installed on a clean system they should be capable of reasonable service.

Most would advise to wait until the warrantee expires and for the next time it faults after that.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back