Boiler Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone recommend a direct replacement for a Glowworm Spacesaver Mk 2 boiler? Preferably something that can be slotted in with little or no amendment to the existing pipes.

I'm asking on behalf of my mother. She'll be getting someone in to do the work, but just wants an independent recommendation from someone in the trade for a boiler that is more efficient than the Spacesaver Mk 2 and that is reliable (what's the model/brand you're least often called on to repair?)

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I did a general search of the plumbing section and scanned through the FAQ before I posted my question. I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

OK, I just did a search for 'replacement boiler' rather than the model name and it turned up better results.

One quote that caught my eye was this:

"The Glowworm is the only one I know of which allows the flue to exit behind the boiler through the wall."

So does this mean if my Mother opts for a Worcester, or Vaillant, boiler (which seems to be what everyone recommends), will there be a problem fitting it?? The current boiler is in her garrage and there's an extension above it. Where/how would the flue exit? Would it require extensive work to fit one of the above mentioned as a replacement?

Sponsored Links
FAQ's item 38, page 3. Boiler recommendations.

Worcester, Vaillant etc have the flue connection on the top of the boiler. This allows for horizontal or vertical fluing options. A horizontal flue has a 90deg bend incorporated which turns the flue to the horizontal plane immediately upon exit from the appliance.

The only difference with the Glow Worm would be lack of this elbow visible above the appliance, the flue will be concealed behind the boiler. Fitting another make will not cause any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back