New combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My combi boiler is beyond economical repair. Could anyone please recommend a replacement make and model. The house is an average 3 bed semi. Reliability is a high priority above cost and efficiency. My heating engineer has recommended a Vokera compact. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of your existing boiler? Whats the problem?

Its a regular scam to say the boiler is beyond repair. Also many people cannot do real repairs if its anything other that something really simple like a fan or pump which has obviously failed.

Worcester and Vaillant are often thought of as more reliable than Vokera by some people. Properly fitted on a clean system a Vokers should give good service though.

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony,

The old boiler is a ravenheat RSF. Having read lots of posts on this site they seem have a poor reputation. The circuit board has been replaced and a couple of sensors (thermistors I think). That seemed to cure the on off cycling problem I posted a few days ago. It has since stopped firing altogether. The installation has a distinct DIY feel to it also . I need the piece of mind that everything is installed correctly, and as such have decided to bite the bullet and change it.

The Vokera compact (presumably the HE version) are not a bad boiler but are failry cheap to buy so check your not getting charged stupid amounts for it. I do feel that the ravenheat you have could easily be repaired though.

Sponsored Links
I need the model number to visualise exactly which one it is.

Unfortunately, its a viscious circle! Cheaper boilers get installed cheaply! Then never serviced!

All I can say is that any Ravenheat carefully installed on a clean system and regularly serviced properly is probably capable of continued useful operation.

That said its possible yours is by now in quite poor condition following considerable neglect and I would feel less concerned about changing it. I would still expect that it can probably be repaired economically if its only a single fault.

Apart from Saunier Duval, I think we have replaced more Ravenheats than other models. I would blame that more on poor installation and neglect rather than poor design or manufacture.

Tony

The probable DIY install and lack of paperwork swings it in favor of replacement. I assume no self respecting corgi fitter would check an installation and supply paperwork retrospectively?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back