Boiler Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the next year I need to replace my Glow-worm Fuelsaver gas boiler with a modern wall-hung condensing boiler.The system is fully pumped and open vented, and has pump and all controls separate from the boiler.
My problem is that there is a huge choice of models and makes, and warranties that range from 1 to 3 years. I was just wondering whether folks would like to recommend boilers which (in their experience) are either trouble-free, or should be avoided because of problems ? Thanks....

Sponsored Links
worcester generally considered one of the best.
some argue that there are better ones out there like atag, viesmann etc, difficulty with those is: try and get spares for them, even simple bits like a seal that needs replacing at a service.
w-b spares are everywhere, technical support and after sales services are second to none and up to 5 year warranty
vaillant used to be amongst the best but have not improved lately and their back up is hopeless

At this point consider a system revamp. How about a quality high flow combi, giving high pressure showers? The Broag 39C combi will do in most cases.

The best price/performance at the mo' is the Broag, with 5 year guarantee. They use primarily industry standard components. I would avoid W-B as their control system is just plain naff - their range is 5 years out of date, needing an update. The fan bearing tend to fail more frequently than they previously did, indicating cheaper components.

The Broags are better quality than Vaillant and much cheaper. They are a well priced quality boilers having a superb control system with integrated outside weather compensation - W-B don't have weather compensation. d Vaillant is proprietary, not OpenTherm as the Broag is. http://www.avantaplus.co.uk

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/c.../Central Heating Boilers/Broag Remeha Boilers

The control options. Wiring the combis is simple:
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Issue 5 -Avanta Schematics Booklet.pdf

BTW, Viessmann, ATAG, Atmos, etc are better quality than W-B and Vaillant.

Sponsored Links
Although gasmangaz says don`t touch anything ideal he means the icos/isar.
But one of the best boilers ever made is the Ideal classic which has years of proven reliabilty and is very simple to repair if it ever breaks . It will fit straight bak in existing position and is about the same size.

But why are you changing your fuelsaver

id stick with worcester or vaillant, like bengasman said getting hold of parts for just about all the boilers bigburner listed could be tricky. also alot more engineers will be familiar with working with the likes of worcester so if any probs did arise chances are it would be easier to sort it out

ya right about that namsag, love the old classics but they even tried to mess that up by developing an optional bolt on kit thing :LOL:
have ya fitted or worked on any of the new classics? ant seen one yet!

Thanks, folks for all your helpful replies ! At the moment I'm seriously thinking of going for a Viessmann 100-W Heat Only boiler. I realise it'll cost a bit more, but it seems to be an advanced design in terms of technology and materials. Also it's only 350mm wide and so could easily replace my existing boiler: the others I've looked at are a few cms wider.
Thanks again....

Gaz new classic is exactly the same as the old one except its just had an extra heat exchanger added similar to the baxi 105e.
Done quite few since changing in 2005 and not had any reliability probs.

To OP so nobody has recommended the viesman and have said parts and someone to work on it could be awkward so why have you decided on that boiler or do you not mind paying around 200 quid a year to insure it.

nah ... let him.. i love going into jobs with these rareish boilers.

people get sold em as all singing all dancing but dont understand the repair and maintenance. its like buying a ferrari and expecting amintenance and repair at any old garage.

but hey,

the customer knows best :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Namsag...what boiler are you referring to as the Gaz new classic ?
And how does the 200 quid a year arise ?
Thanks...

the boiler is called a classic, by Ideal.

the £200 reference is probly the price of a maintenance contract from the manufacturer just for the boiler.

id stick with worcester or vaillant, l

W-B are outdated with poor control systems. Avoid until they update their lackluster range.

like bengasman said getting hold of parts for just about all the boilers bigburner listed could be tricky.

Broag have an extensive parts distribution now and they use industry standard parts available anywhere, with many merchants selling them. If you can fix a Vaillant or Glow Worm, you can fix a Broag.

I prefer Atmos boilers but their parts distribution is not extensive although fine around London. Atmos are simple to fix to other boilers.

The 100W Compact is a nice simple little boiler, we have found them reliable in service. Once the spark generator was shielded they have been OK.

It is regettably true the now discontinued/replaced 100W combi and system were unreliable.

The 300 range has not been imported into the UK since February, so you won't be getting one of these. The 200 system has to be on a sealed system and you have to cap off the internal diverter valve etc. Quite unnecessarily complicated for the application.

PS: BB wouldn't know the 300 has been ditched because the Viessmann web site is out of date. He isn't going to hear from within the trade either, because he's not in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back