Old boiler - worth getting new one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler's approx 20 years old Glow worm Fuelsaver UFB), the gas valve has failed on it recently - the boiler's not too great, a bit rusty, damp, water inside.

Is it better for me to hae a new boiler installed, and if so, can anyone recommend me a decent one?

I have an open vented system, 3 port valve, pump all in airing cupboard upstairs next to the hot water cylinder.

I'd like to keep the cylinder and also if possible the open vent system, unless converting to sealed is a better option.

Also, what sort of price would this roughly cost?

Thanks for your advice

My house is 3 bed by the way, standard size really

Sponsored Links
We had a boiler similar to yours, it was weeping along the seams of the heat exchanger and generally getting a bit tired. We replaced it with a new condensing boiler (had to sell my old Landy to finance it - sob!) and wished we had done it earlier. The new boiler warms the house up faster and uses about 40% less gas. It's also smaller and lighter so it is now wall-mounted hidden inside a cupboard rather than taking up space on the floor.

I think the whole thing cost around £2000.

The only small problem is that a condensing boiler needs cool water coming into the flow side in order to work at its most efficient and our HW cylinder is also 20 years old so it doesn't have an efficient coil, which is capable of giving up a good amount of heat to the stored water then returning cool water to the boiler. So next year we are having a much bigger cylinder fitted, which will have a modern fast-reheating coil plus a second coil for me to use with my solar panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back