Boiler Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the Potterton boiler we inherited in our new house appears to have issues. We will find out tomorrow how much we will need to fork out to fix it but its looking like it wont be a quick fix.

We had hoped to keep it going for a few more months without spending money on it as it will be removed and replaced when we do our extension later in the year. I get the impression that Potterton boilers are up there with some of the worst around.

Given this situation, i am considering getting the new boiler done now rather than spend money repairing it to replace this year. Would you agree?

If so what boiler can be recommended. It needs to feed
. a fairly large house
. currently has 9 rads that will be kept in the final set up
. Will have 2 bathrooms and a downstairs toilet (2-3nr heated towel rails)
. Will have a kitchen and separate utility
. Extension will have 2 zones heated via wet UFH
. Will have a HS megaflow cylinder (thinking 250ltr +)

At what cost for repair do you suggest replacement now rather than in 6 months time is recomended.

Sponsored Links
I had a potterton profile for 23 years and only changed to try and be more efficient. I was told the Potterton Profiles were among the best boilers ever made and that has proved true. The new boilers are not great, even the best ones are not likely to survive the distance and as far as more efficient (somewhat nonsense) apparently. Every plumber always says Worcester Bosch or second choice Valliant. Ask a plumber what they would have always seems to be Worcester Bosh and they also are not keen on Combi boilers in their own homes, but love fitting them as they are apparently an easier fit.

Basically I was advised if its the Potterton Profile they are worth keeping as long as its the right BTU for the changes you have made, if other Pottertons generally earlier ones they had a lot of issues with the pcb failures, which is a re occurring problem.

Last edited:
Potterton have made a lot of boilers over the years, some good, some not so good. They're now owned by Baxi so most of their more recent offerings are just rebadged Baxi boilers. You've not said which one you have, nor described any of the symptoms if your "issues" so it's impossible to make any kind of judgement on it.

Having said that, if you're thinking of having a new boiler as part of your other works then it might well be a good time to replace it. I'd recommend an Intergas ECO RF, set up as a system boiler (this boiler can be either a combi or a system boiler depending on the installer settings). Go for a Joule Cyclone cylinder when the time comes to do that, rather than a Megaflo, much cheaper and more reliable as they don't have the stupid floating baffle system. Get it set up to run in a hot water priority configuration for best efficiency.

Every plumber always says Worcester Bosch or second choice Valliant. Ask a plumber what they would have always seems to be Worcester Bosh and they also are not keen on Combi boilers in their own homes, but love fitting them as they are apparently an easier fit.
Try asking heating engineers and not plumbers

Sponsored Links
Hate Worcester's with a passion. I personally swear by Ideal logic boilers, great to work inside, clean tidy boilers and Ideal have great customer service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back