Boiler Recommendations Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this gets asked a lot of times but still, everyone's needs are different so I would be grateful for any advice.

I live in a smallish 3 bed detached house, just the one bathroom with electric shower, so HW is only required for kitchen sink, bath and basin, plus basin in downstairs loo which is seldom used (for HW anyway!). Currently got an open vented, fully pumped system and looking to move to a combi. I know these aren't great where there's a lot of demand for HW from multiple outlets but that's not the case with me.

Heating wise, I've 9 radiators and will be getting some replaced as part of the work, which will mean I'll have 7 double radiators, a single, and the towel rail. By my approximations, approx 12kW demand for heating which is well within most combis capabilities.

Output wise, I'm looking for a 28/30kW combi. It's going in a kitchen corner where there's not a huge amount of space. A biggish combi would possibly fit, but ideally a smaller one would be preferable. As per another thread, I was going to go for a Viessmann 100W which is 700mm high but decided against it. I'm keen to stick with a good brand with a good reputation, don't mind paying more for a better product. The Worcester CDi compact range has caught my eye due to their smaller size. Are these any good? How do they compare to the Classic? Are they compromised because of their smaller size?

I must say I'm not looking for an all singing all dancing boiler. I will want it controlling by a simple wired thermostat and timeswitch/programmer as I'm not a fan of programmable wireless thermostats. And I certainly don't want weather compensation or any 'intelligent' features that take the control out of the hands of the user. I like things as simple as possible, and built to last. So if you can recommend anything that fits the bill please let me know. I figure it's best to try and decide on a boiler first before I get any quotes, seeing as most installers just tend to fit a certain brand, plus it means I can find an approved installer with sound experience of fitting the one I choose. Thanks folks!

Sponsored Links
I suggest a Baxi, good simple no frills boiler with the option of long warranties....But there'll be lots of other suggestions.

Nothing wrong with the Viessmann 100 range, only ever used the Honeywell CM927 RF stat with them, so cannot comment on other RF stats with this boiler.

Fitted a few dozen combis/system boilers, no cpme-backs....

The single pass stainless Steel Heat Exchanger has a 10 year warranty, and I do not work for the company.

DH

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 or smaller 824 if you never plan to put in a mixer shower or fill bath much.
7 year warranty with approved installer.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the Viessmann 100 range, only ever used the Honeywell CM927 RF stat with them, so cannot comment on other RF stats with this boiler.

Fitted a few dozen combis/system boilers, no cpme-backs....

The single pass stainless Steel Heat Exchanger has a 10 year warranty, and I do not work for the company.

DH

Out of interest have you paid any attention to the pump overrun on these? Viessmann tell me it's temp controlled on the 100W and it can take over an hour for the pump overrun to stop, whereas on other boilers I've seen, it's based on time, usually 5 minutes. It was this unknown pump overrun time that's put me off the Viessmann.

Paid attention?, never known one to run for longer than any other boiler brand...

I am sure I would have noticed if otherwise, but given the power consumption of the pump, I would respectfully suggest there are other things to consider first.... or is it the noise, or the worries about the pumps longevity that puts you off?

I rate them as being up there with other Germanic Brands that start with V ( As I do not fit WB, I cannot comment), but better 'value for money'. I also like the concept of the combined pressure relief/condensate drain as its one less pipe to run.

DH

I am sure I would have noticed if otherwise, but given the power consumption of the pump, I would respectfully suggest there are other things to consider first.... or is it the noise, or the worries about the pumps longevity that puts you off?

DH

It's the noise rather than the longevity. I've spoken to a couple of different bods at Viessmann now and they tell me that on the 100W it can take as long as I mentioned for the pump overrun to stop. Due to boiler location I don't want to hear the pump rumbling on for an hour or more after I've turned the heating off. I agree it does seem at odds with every other boiler brand but mention of 'pump overrun' is notable only by its exception in Viessmann user guides, whereas every other guide I've read for other boiler makes does mention it. Do me a favour DH, and if the opportunity arises, get back to me with any real world experience, from your own testing or customer feedback. This is the only thing putting me off this brand.

Pick any main brand boiler you want and if its installed properly, your guess will be as good as anyones.

Indeed - there is a fair bit of boiler OCD going on here. The OP is looking into things that (I am confident to say) haven't been an issue for me in 15 years, or I am sure any other professional here in the time that pump over-run has been in common use.

Are you looking at Bunny boilers for your place now?

Make damn sure the installer flushes your system properly.... with the low head there sludge could well be a problem and Bunnies are no where near as tolerant as Intergas or Viessmann.

If you get the cavity filled the Bunny weather compensated controller should work well, but I wouldn't recommend going over the 828 model as you are going to be grossly oversized for heating as it is.

I suggest a Baxi, good simple no frills boiler with the option of long warranties....But there'll be lots of other suggestions.

Here's another vote for the Potty/Baxi/Main range.
Though Intergas is getting itself a good reputation.
I also like a typical Glasga boiler, the Vokera Compact. Over many years Vokera have proved to be a reliable, sound boiler & if you do have problems the parts are readily available & they're easy to work on.

Indeed - there is a fair bit of boiler OCD going on here. The OP is looking into things that (I am confident to say) haven't been an issue for me in 15 years, or I am sure any other professional here in the time that pump over-run has been in common use.

Are you looking at Bunny boilers for your place now?

Make damn sure the installer flushes your system properly.... with the low head there sludge could well be a problem and Bunnies are no where near as tolerant as Intergas or Viessmann.

If you get the cavity filled the Bunny weather compensated controller should work well, but I wouldn't recommend going over the 828 model as you are going to be grossly oversized for heating as it is.

Hi Dan

I've bought a 831, got a good deal on it as well! And took the plunge with a VRC470F.

Personally I go for vaillants but as Dan Robinson rightly says they are more sensitive to sludge than other boilers but if properly flushed and a good quality filter is fitted I shouldn't cause you any problems. If you go for the plus range over the pro you get a better boiler and 7 year warranty if installed by an approved installer.

Well one thread is for the pump overrun and this one is for boilers but invariably this one meandered onto the overrun topic. Can't see why Viessmann have theirs set up differently on the 100W to everyone else.

Thanks for the pointers about sludge on the Vaillant. I was looking at the Pro rather than the Plus due to its more compact dimensions, just like I was considering the WB Greenstar Compact over the Classic. How are these smaller boilers more compromised than their larger/standard counterparts?

How sensitive are Baxi's to sludge? And when you say properly flushed do you mean via a Powerflush or Magnacleanse, as opposed to lobbing some cleaner in the tank for a few days prior to the boiler swap?

Get your self a ravenheat CSI 150

42Kw boiler in the hot water mode at a half the cost of some of the plastic & rubber hose made boilers ;)

safest boiler on the market (may be ?)

;) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back