1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

New oil combi recommendations

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by RPerrin, 3 Feb 2019.

1. RPerrin

RPerrin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys.

I'm looking to replace my old oil fired combi, and would appreciate some recommendations.

The current combi supplies a bath an basin upstairs, the kitchen, and a basin downstairs. We use electric showers, so no supply issue there.

We have 8 radiators in total.

Current boiler is a Potterton Statesman Flowsure, which is ok, but it's been in the house nearly 20 years, is starting to leak in various places, and is requiring almost regular maintenance.

Not looking for any quotes, but views on performance, reliability, maintenance costs, and good warranties. I was considering Grant, Worcester and Warmflow, with respect to manufacturers.

Thanks

RP

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Grant every time !!

I would not fit a Worser Bodge or Wetflow or F B for any one unless I hated them .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. simond

simond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worcester Heatslave for me. Grant quite old fashioned by comparison.

Gas controls compatible, easy weather compensation. Simple and quick to service.

And 7 yrs warranty. 320 engineers on the road.

With Grant you are in the hands if subcontractors if there’s a warranty issue. I’m sure Terry is good but as far as I know he doesn’t cover the whole country.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Prior to the Heatslave greenstar They were excellent boilers.
    The Greenstar Mk 1 is a fookin pain to work on. Especially the down firing burner. ( Who the fook thought that was a good idea)??

The Mk 11 design with cross firing burner is much better..... But the plastic parts and unnecessary complicated controls to achieve "Mickey Mouse " weather comp, is imo a waste
    of space.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Grant every time if you fit a woooooooster you won't be happy.Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pity you didn't just want a heat only I'd have said houndsfield every time .Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By the way woooooster do use contractors.Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By the way Terry my friend downwards firing burners developed by boulter boilers before being taken over by buderious worked very well on some old old boilers.Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes Bob I worked on many of them.
    If I remember correctly they were called Pathfinders with an MEC3 burner. Eddie Boulter built the first ones in his garage.
    Also Harcal 430 and Trianco Centrajets were down firing as was the ODY3They all worked well and we're easy to work on.
    My point was who the fook thought that squeezing a downfiring burner with all the other components on a Greenstar Heatslave to be a good idea!! The poxy sliding controls panel was also a nightmare !!

12. RPerrin

RPerrin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the responses guys. I've had a couple of quotes as below:

Grant Vortex Pro 26kw Oil Combi Boiler OR Worcester Greenstar Heatslave ii 18/25ErP+ Oil Combi
    (7 Year Manufacturer Guarantee)
    Horizontal Flue + Plume Management Kit
    Grant Magnetic Central Heating Filter OR Worcester Magnetic Central Heating Filter
    Limescale Reducer
    New Fire Shut off Valve & Oil/Water Filter
    Grant Built In Programmer & Wireless Room Thermostat OR Worcester Comfort Control 1 Wireless Room Thermostat
    Remove & Dispose of Existing Boiler
    Chemical Flush of Heating System
    On completion you will receive all necessary documentation for the safe installation of the boiler as well as confirmation of the manufacturer guarantee.
    Parts/Labour Included
    £3,745.83 + VAT
    TOTAL GBP £4,495.00

Also had a quote from a different company, which was more or less in the same ballpark, so assuming it's about right.

Boiler fitted in same position. Flue slightly different position, and a long flue extension to take away from nearby window.

The rationale given for the identical price is that the Grant flue kit is more expensive.

I was also looking at the Grant Vortex Blue, but not had a quote for that as yet. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

As an after thought, I'm thinking of replacing all the TRV's, as they are at least 16 years old. What would you recommend? Not looking for the most expensive, but something reliable and efficient. I am planning to replace myself, just to save a little on the labour costs. Also, with respect to Worcester, I was thinking of the Mk 2 wireless stat?

If there's anything else I should be asking, I'd be grateful for comments. I don't want to get it wrong, considering the investment. The installers are Registered installers of both makes.

Thanks again,

RP

13. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stay away from a blue flame burner they are not developed enough and give problems plus a photo cell is very expensive the lo nox yellow flame burners are ok.Crikey Terry I reckon you must be nearly as old as me to remember the pathfinder and mr boulter was a very clever man.oh the mec3 burners back when things were better I think.Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. OakLover

OakLover

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our heating engineer of 15 years recommended Grant over WB. Vortex Pro fine. The blue just meets future requirements but no real advantage and more pricey. We found the VTXCOMBI36 36kw for about £2,200 inc. VAT by opening an account at out local plumbers merchants.

He installed a WB 14 yrs ago at our previous house which had a few issues over the years but none too bad.

Your Grant would be cheaper, so install seems pricey at c£2,500 if it's a straight replacement? Could be where you're based perhaps?

15. boilerdoktor

boilerdoktor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lot of bull on this post.....fit Worcester Bosch and sleep soundly

16. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is always nice to have an impartial comment from a Worcester engineer !!;);)

• Like Like x 2
  17. oilboffin

oilboffin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hear hear with you on that Terry.Bob