need oil fired combi external boiler suggestions. . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Completely stuck when it comes to picking my boiler. Its nearly impossible, so many to choose from in the same price range.

I think i need around a 20kwh boiler for a new build in scotland. It needs to be a combi, external and oil fired.

I have been looking at mistral, grant, worcester, warmflow and they all seem to do different things, i saw one site saying the water capacity for the warmflow KC90HE was 70 litres??? Is that correct?

I just need a bit of guidance on what to choose please!

Cheers,
Danny

Sponsored Links
Ask the advice of the people who you are going to have fit the boiler. Also, bear in mind that if you purchase a boiler for someone to fit, any problems are likely to be blown out of all proportion when you are stuck between an installer and a manufacturer who will both refuse to accept responsibility for any faults.

I am having a local plumber install the boiler and he isnt fussy what i get.

All your quoted boilers do pretty well the same thing. Provide heating and hot water. When looking at specifications, you need to look for the boiler output, and the quoted DHW litres delivery. The 70 lts quoted is I think you'll find, is the quantity of water in the boiler, which is immaterial for your information. You need to balance the cost against the reputation of the appliances.
Grant has a good name and uses many generic parts.
Worcester has a reasonable name, but is a pig to service. It uses some very specific parts which can take time to obtain.
Warmflow are'nt bad boilers, but leakage from failed DHW seals drips onto the circulating pumps and that is an expensive part to replace.
Mistral are cheap and cheerful, but the condensing heat exchanger does not always work, especially in DHW mode.
Have a look at firebird, easy to service, reliable, and many generic parts.

Sponsored Links
Since you are building a new house, wouldn't it make sense to build a small plant room where the boiler will go? I would always prefer my boiler to be inside

Since you are building a new house, wouldn't it make sense to build a small plant room where the boiler will go? I would always prefer my boiler to be inside

I think with oil internal boilers you can smell the oil in the house. Plus we are past that stage, all the pipework is pretty much out of the wall to where the boiler will be.

1. Calculate your requirements to establish what you need.
2. Look at MANUFACTURERS web sites to select comparable products. If you are unable to understand or reconcile this information, employ the services of a consultant, or a bona fide heating engineer instead of a 'compliant' plumber.
3. Be prepared to pay for what is an essential service that you will have to live with, and get building control approval for in your new house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back