Boiler (replacement?) problem and plumbing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Profile boiler which is @10+ yrs old. Have no problem as such (don't know if PCB was replaced earlier). Recently I have started getting noise from the pump, which was diagnosed by British Gas eng as Sludge problem. Was adviced powerflush with Magnatec filter (circa 700 quids)
Called a local plumber - he dismissed powerflush,suggested manual flush with pump change for circa 400 quids
THEN, he mentioned that the boiler is getting old and gave me a replacement quote (for a combi vaillant boiler ) incl thermostat changes for radiators and manual sludge clean for 2250.
He almost cautioned me for a 70% chance of failure this winter for the boiler.
My question is what can I expect as average life-expectancy of a Potterton
boiler?
What are my OPTIONS:
- Will I be wasting good money in changing everything now?For 2250 quids?
- Alternately, shall I just do a small repair with manual sludge clean?
- OR Do nothing - wait for something to break?

Sponsored Links
Obviously Im not there and cant see the whole picture but I reckon the potterton profile aint a bad boiler and should be good for more time yet.
I would either try a 'manual' chemical clean and new pump now or do nothing until the problem becomes unbearable.

another gas operative (they are not engineers) with a crystal ball, how can he give a relable boiler a 70% chance of failure, and if it did break down, all parts are available for these boilers, if you where to report this man to his supervisor, they would take no action, because they encourage this behaviour, all operatives are judged on how much revenue they make for the company,
he's not advising for your benefit, but for his own, if the pump is noisy change it, i'd very much doubt its sludge making it noisy though, and £700 for a flush is daylight robbery,

Sponsored Links
keep the boiler if you dont want to change it, will last for years. one of the best boilers ever made. it can fill half full of sludge and will keep going anyway.
Whats the water quality like? sounds like both people are talking nonsense to get you to spend money.

Many Thanks micky and others.
i can see that i am being taken for a ride. I have in fact found some old docs left by previous owner and it shows a receipt and work detail for a boiler replacement (says Potterton Profile) on Jan 2004!. So that makes the new boiler only 6 yrs old!! Of course I am not changing it.
Now I have a related dillemma. I have BG Homecare agreement for boiler etc. But they have now put a note because of sludge and said no parts to be replaced related to water (pump etc) in future. So:
- Shall I igonre BG's powerflush advice and just go for manual flush from a local plumber?
- Do I need to change the pump or can I keep the old pump after sludge cleaning (manual or power)? Pump is circa £100 as per the plumber
- Shall I ask BG for further info first e.g. water sample to establish whether I need power or manual flush?
- How much should a manual flush cost. The plumber quoted @£400?

Regards,
Shomoo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back