Boiler Saga Continues - Probable Leak...(Update 24/12/20 - Trace and Access visit)

There shouldnt have been anything in the bucket, is there any way you could seperate, the two pipes and use two buckets to see where the water is coming from ?

Hi, sorry I was responding to the other quotes when I saw this.

There isn't anything to separate, I've put some pictures below:

SQX2j2t.jpg

yWHEp2J.jpg

FUENTWe.jpg

zFiA2nd.jpg

Sponsored Links
40cms is more than adequate crawl space. Head-torch, stout boots and overalls time - you know you need to.

Oh wow really, I'm not sure I'd get my shoulders in there let alone my backside!

You will find a thermal imaging camera won't do as you are hoping.

If the pipes were in concrete you would be ok, but as they are in an open access under floor boards it won't work as the heat dissipation will be to much.

You could try putting uv dye in the system https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RLD2 , then get a powerful UV torch from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WJJY1ZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_T4Z0FbG44F0Z3

That's interesting, I've got a UV torch for finding golf balls on the course behind our house :ROFLMAO:. Don't know if it's powerful enough (it's this one).

The pipes aren't in concrete, would the significance of the leak help at all?

For an experienced person who will not get a panic attack 40 cm could be adequate. Ripping up floor boards to release a person will be expensive and traumatic.

I'm OK in tight spaces, not claustrophobic or anything but may well get stuck against pipes or something not knowing what I'm doing. I really doubt I'll get myself under there anyway! I may also be overestimating the height of the crawl space, I'll try and get some footage I took from the inspection camera.

Sponsored Links
That torch should be fine.

The heat camera won't work under floor boards, as it won't be able to pickup the heat signature sufficiently. The experts you spoke to should have advised this. Even with a significant leak, unless the leak is in a wall, but I would imagine a leak in the wall would be pretty evident.

Last edited:
Sorry was that a question for me as I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between the PRV and condensate water.

No, it wasn't really a question - I'm just puzzled by a design of boiler which makes it so difficult to find out if the PRV is leaking or not.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
open the two valves that you mention, that isolate the up and downstairs , check the boiler system pressure, put the heating on and half an hour later check the pressure again, and come back and tell us the 2 readings

All combi boilers PRV is on the inside of the boiler casing, some have combined condensate and PRV outlet but if this is the case there is a visual indicator that tells you that the PRV has operated

Don't know why we are still persevering with the idea of the PRV leaking, because I think we have established it is the leak under the floor, but would the visual indicator allow you to spot if the PRV were just passing?

Don't know why we are still persevering with the idea of the PRV leaking, because I think we have established it is the leak under the floor, but would the visual indicator allow you to spot if the PRV were just passing?
yes that is why it is called a visual indicator, and how have we established it is a leak under the floor ?

De pressurize the boiler. Whip the bleed vent out of the top. Pour a big scoop of drain tracing dye in. Bleed vent back in and top it up and bleed. Run boiler look for coloured water inside and outside the boiler and under the floor.
Doesn't matter what colour drain dye used.

Last edited:
You don't need your shoulders or backside to go in, you lay flat, face down and shuffle along :)

Surely backside will have to go in at some point :ROFLMAO:

Here's a brief video from the inspection camera.

That torch should be fine.

The heat camera won't work under floor boards, as it won't be able to pickup the heat signature sufficiently. The experts you spoke to should have advised this. Even with a significant leak, unless the leak is in a wall, but I would imagine a leak in the wall would be pretty evident.

The experts I spoke to didn't really mention the thermal imaging, only as one possible method of operation, they were mainly talking about draining the system and inserting a gas. Presumably the leak isn't in a wall or even near a wall because there's no signs of dampness anywhere...

No, it wasn't really a question - I'm just puzzled by a design of boiler which makes it so difficult to find out if the PRV is leaking or not.

Ahh right, with you.

open the two valves that you mention, that isolate the up and downstairs , check the boiler system pressure, put the heating on and half an hour later check the pressure again, and come back and tell us the 2 readings

Do you mean close the valves to isolate the downstairs heating pipes?

you say a little water how much is a little ?

Do you mean from the bucket? It's hard to say in a measurement but around 30ml?

Repressurize the boiler. Whip the bleed vent out of the top. Pour a big scoop of drain tracing dye in. Bleed vent back in and top it up and bleed. Run boiler look for coloured water inside and outside the boiler and under the floor.
Doesn't matter what colour drain dye used.

Would this work without being able to see under the floor? Presumably that's how I could get the UV dye in there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back