Boiler setup for house with 3 showers and no room for a water tank.

what are the chances of both showers needing to be used at the same time - slim to none I would say.
Actually, in a house with 5 young professionals sharing, I'd say the chance of the showers being used at the same time on a working morning would be pretty high tbh, which is what I'm trying to prepare for. I'm going to go up and test whether the current combi can cope with running two at once tomorrow. The water pressure is excellent with mains fed on new plastic pipe so theres a chance it'll be ok.

Sponsored Links
My old 28kw combi would just about run 2 showers with flow restrictors. The problem comes when someone starts to wash up at the same time. I've put a few unventeds on a platform in the stairwell for want of space elsewhere.

Coincidentally, I have a house with a WB Junior, about 10 years old, had to have loads of plastic bits replaced on it last year as they all disintegrated! Fortunately I have a very reasonable engineer otherwise it could have been BER.

This is being an excellent discussion. Modern electric showers (the 10 or 11kw types) give an acceptable shower- but nowhere near as good as you can get from a tanked (even low pressure gravity) setup or a single head on a beefy combi. Good for you for aiming for a good solution rather than 'it'll do'.
I still reckon your best bet is via a cylinder (as big as you can fit in) somewhere, maybe combined with time switches to make it hard work for someone to take the Mick with long luxurious showers (3 minutes is for prison or the army, 10 minutes is reasonable).
Adroit use of flow restrictors is a good idea, I'd suggest putting them in the kitchen and basin taps (just to reduce the concurrent effect while people are showering).
There is another electric shower option- you can get 10kw instant water heaters designed to fit under a sink. You can plumb these alongside another hot water source (combi or stored) so if your main hot water source fails operating 4 valves gives you a local backup source.
Other thoughts- have you got 3 metre ceilings everywhere? If yes then small cylinders in the bathrooms becomes doable (50 litres doesn't take up a lot of space, 100 litres a bit trickier but not impossible).

Sponsored Links
I still reckon your best bet is via a cylinder (as big as you can fit in) somewhere, maybe combined with time switches to make it hard work for someone to take the Mick with long luxurious showers (3 minutes is for prison or the army, 10 minutes is reasonable).

WOW. YW sent us a 4 minute shower/egg timer, as a water saver. We are both usually in and out within 2 or three minutes. and no, neither of us have been in the army or locked up :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back