Boiler shuts down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH makes a load banging noise just as the hot water gets up to temp. The noise comes from around the area of the pump and hot water cylinder. It always start at this time of year and hasn't done it all through the summer.
It's as if there is air in or hot and cold water suddenly meeting each other.
It is a Myson Apollo boiler and Myson unit 3 pump.
I have tried, changing the pump speed from 1 to 2. Have changed the pump overun stat, the hi temp stat, the thermocouple and the hot water stat on the tank. The problem is, when it happens it puts the pilot out on the boiler. It may be coincidence but, it seems to happen after some bathwater has been run.
HELP

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Bypass definately not shut, how far open should it be, and what else could be my problem?

How far is the bypass valve fromthe boiler?
Next time you have a bath try it with the pump on max.

You say it has not done it all summer, do you by any chance have the stat set to LOW in summer and switch it to HIGH when you put rads on

Bypass is upstairs with pump and hot tank, boiler is downstairs in garage.
Hi - Lo stat not altered from summer to winter.
Thinking of cleaning system out and putting some Sentinel X300 in, I have had rads off in the past for decorating etc but no signs of furring up or sludge. Could it be that the heat exchanger in the boiler is clogged up?

It could. Worth trying the pump on max though, as a test if not a cure.

err...sorry to be a pain...but what's a 'bypass' ?...where should I have one ?

Oi, get back to yer own thread :evil: It's for when that third thermostat comes into action - you've got enough trouble with the ones you know a bit about. Ask your mum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back