boiler sizeing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Had a rep round today regarding the green deal, he did a full energy survey on the house which had had quite a few extensions added since the boiler had been fitted. When I pointed this out to him and suggested that a bigger boiler may be required , he said " you must have the smallest boiler your property will allow so when it works it has to work flat out only then will it save money because only then will it condense, personally I thought he was talking crap, but I thought I would run it by you guys just to check. Any comments greatly appreciated. thanks mark

Sponsored Links
A lifetime of experience, so you know everything?

why would you want an oversized boiler that is continually switching on and off?

Why not get a billet correctly sized for your house?

Personally I don't think yours listen to anyone else's opinion but you're own.

Sponsored Links
Whilst the boiler should be sized to meet the house requirements.
This is not always possible. So say if you house needs 15 kW and the nearest boiler of choice is 18kW then 18kW it is.

However the important item here is the value the boiler can modulate down to. Most modern boilers can modulate down to low outputs. For most house boilers this is in a fairly tight range so it really doesn't matter if the boiler says 18kW or 24kW they will both probably modulate down to similar values of 5-8kW. The advantage of a bigger boiler is when coming on in the morning it will heat the radiators faster.
For combi boilers this goes out of window completely anyway because the boilers are quite large to heat hot water on demand.

And the vast majority I see are far bigger than they need to be because people still insist on using the spinal tap method of boiler sizing because they know better.

The one I took out of my place was nearly twice the size it needed to be.

Place I'm working in know is at least one size too big.

Survey meeting I just left was bordering on lunacy even taking the swimming pool into account.

Oh well. :mrgreen:

why would you want an oversized boiler that is continually switching on and off?

LOL, if a boiler stays on constantly then it is undersized for the job as it cannot reach the temp asked for by the room stat. so increasing wear and tear on the system IE pump ,moving parts and in general boiler life. So increasing the expense due to maintenance and possible replacement due to early failure.
I do listen to everyone's opinion even the dull and ignorant for they to have their story. Then I disregard the crap and make a decision on what I believe is the best case. That is exactly why I'm so successful in life.
Optimum settings are sometimes indicated on boiler controls , placed there by manufactures. I have never seen one where the manufacturer has marked the optimum setting on the boiler stat at maximum, usually its around half way but they do vary.
The reason I posed the question was to see if there had been some new guidance regarding boiler sizing that I was unaware of , Or if the rep was bullshiting LOL
Thanks dcwkawell , Its not a combi , and what you say makes a lot of sense.

he said " you must have the smallest boiler your property will allow so when it works it has to work flat out only then will it save money because only then will it condense"
Nothing to do with working flat out.

A boiler will only condense if the system has been designed so the return temperature is low enough (<55C) for condensing to occur. If a condensing boiler has replaced a standard boiler, there is a good chance that it will only condense on rare occasions because the system was originally designed for a return temp of about 65C.

LOL, if a boiler stays on constantly then it is undersized for the job as it cannot reach the temp asked for by the room stat. so increasing wear and tear on the system IE pump ,moving parts and in general boiler life. So increasing the expense due to maintenance and possible replacement due to early failure.
I do listen to everyone's opinion even the dull and ignorant for they to have their story. Then I disregard the crap and make a decision on what I believe is the best case. That is exactly why I'm so successful in life.
Optimum settings are sometimes indicated on boiler controls , placed there by manufactures. I have never seen one where the manufacturer has marked the optimum setting on the boiler stat at maximum, usually its around half way but they do vary.
The reason I posed the question was to see if there had been some new guidance regarding boiler sizing that I was unaware of , Or if the rep was bullshiting LOL
Thanks dcwkawell , Its not a combi , and what you say makes a lot of sense.

uh oh......

So much bullshit, so little time - or do I mean motivation? ;)

Edit....... forgot my LOL's :rolleyes:

I do listen to everyone's opinion even the dull and ignorant for they to have their story. Then I disregard the crap and make a decision on what I believe is the best case. That is exactly why I'm so successful in life.........

Sort of begs the question; why if you're so successful in life are you wasting money on the hugely expensive Green Deal?? Which, is viewed as a complete rip-off!! This notion alone would indicate you're a bit of a Wally!!

The 'smart money' would shop around for the best installer that'll give you a fair price for supplying & installing a quality product.

Please don't be confused by the view; success being measured by wealth! Some of the most successful people I know have very little money, have a loving caring family around them & a very happy life.

We have our differences Dickie, but on some things we are as one. Although I seem to be uncharacteristically grumpy this week ;)

Have you been at the ol' fire water yet? :LOL:

We have our differences Dickie, but on some things we are as one. Although I seem to be uncharacteristically grumpy this week ;)

Have you been at the ol' fire water yet? :LOL:

Perish the thought Dan, a Scotsman drinking of an evening???!!!...... :eek:

I very rarely disagree with your views & opinions dear boy, I know your work is exceptional & I can only hope that's be enough 'brown nosing' to count on your vote in the forthcoming 'Puller to return to the combustion chamber pot' poll???!!!!...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back