Energy assistance package - which boilers and controls?

FD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After me completing a survey on the Energy Savings Trust website, Dad had an energy assessor round to survey his property. He is likely to get a combi installed and either new rads or a powerflush on account of his age (80s), the age of the boiler > 7.5 years 65% efficiency and the RD-SAP rating of the property. Going by the number of job ads for gas installers recently and the likely demand for free boiler replacements the installation may be some months off.

What brands of boilers do British Gas / Scottish Gas install under the programme? I heard Glowworm, Ideal and Worcester.
Are they reliable?
If there is a choice (not looking a gift horse in the teeth) are there brands available on the programme which are more reliable than others?

What controls package is normally included with the Energy Assistance installations?
The installations I have seen have all had the timer/programmer incorporated in the boiler. Would a programmer on a wall convenient and accessible to my Dad be at his expense?

I'd like to add to the controls at a later date at own expense so he can cotrol the temperature in each room without having to bend down. Not sure what is on the market for domestic installations and whether proprietary and will work with only some boilers or open standard.

Does the (RD) SAP rating of a property tell gas installers anything? Is it a figure that can be used to calculate required boiler rating ?

I assume someone will be up to survey the installation before starting?

Sponsored Links
What scheme are we talking about?

In any case a surveyor will explain these things to you.

Sponsored Links
Beggars can't be choosers.
The Energy Assistance Scheme is the Scottish equivalent of the Warm Front Scheme. But, unlike WF, you can qualify on age alone, you do not have to be on benefits.

The OP's dad qualifies because he is over 75 and the house has a very low SAP rating.

• Thanks
Reactions: FD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back