21 Year old boiler

Thanks everyone for the posts.

Spoke to British Gas salesman and got a little more information, as well as no boubt a little bit of sales blurb but I have no reason to doubt him. He did offer up that its a glow-worm.

"Taking up the floorboards" is apparently to run a cable to the hot water cylinder.

Comment of the British Gas 330+ is a glow-worm but redesigned/ modified for British gas's needs. Award winning etc.

9-31 kw.

Rear venting as per our current boiler design

"Only one on market" suitable for water from a water softener- which we don't have but my wife may want installing (water is horribly hard here)

Can upgrade to a potterton for £100 extra, a Worcester Bosch for £150.

Advantage of this unit is that it is small as well- you can see he is keen on the British gas 330+.

If there is a problem in they "just lift it out and replace" no quibble type thing.

90.3% efficient

Price includes 6 thermostatic radiator valves free

So my questions are.........bearing in mind we are gonna go with British Gas to get it done quickly before we replace carpets in a few weeks and the guarantees, part p certification provided etc...................

1. Where would you put the 6 free radiator valves...
thermostat is in living room by the way
1 in each bedroom so thats 4 gone
1 in dining room
1 in study
or should I use 1 in the kitchen instead of dining room. The kitchen has a single story roof.
Thoughts everyone?

2. Am I better off with branded rather than british gas 330+, this unit is new on the market (12 months)

Thanks to all for the advice

Edwin

Sponsored Links
trv's in the bedrooms diner and study. boilerwise the chioce is yours but i prefer the worcester, but as mentioned the bg branded issues are pretty much sorted. stay well away from pottertons sadly.

It seems you have completely ignored my post which told you exactly what the boiler was. Its not special or unique, its a flexicom ffs with a fancy display pcb.

tbh mickey these are slightly tricked up for bg, cant remember what esle but its a little more than just the controller. not a lot mind you :)

Sponsored Links
the old glowworms were rubbish and there design flaws didn't show up straight away
The early hxi's had faults with condense leak, also the pcb wasn't as reliable as it should be.However, "rubbish" is a massive exageration, the later ones were sorted with no regualr problems. The ultracom uses the same design, several years down the line its pretty solid.
design flaws didn't show up straight away, whats to say the new ones are any better?
see above, tried, tested, and refined technology.
i haven't seen that many of the new glowworms but my comments weren't purely aimed at the cxi range. n like i've said i've had quite a few probs with the pcb's faulting f9
you worked for BG who installed 1000s, if you haven't seen many thats a pretty good sign. All boilers will have common faults. Failure rates are whats important.

the flexicom has that ridiculous rubber flow pipe on the left side, not a great idea and proving to be quite unreliable. im thinking of getting one for vanstock im changing them that often.
I agree, its a potential design flaw. But overall its a pretty decent budget boiler.

tbh mickey these are slightly tricked up for bg, cant remember what esle but its a little more than just the controller. not a lot mind you :)
pcb and display, trust me ;)

who is that you work for again? :)

Mickyg,

I didn't ignore your post- british gas appealed because its easy as we have a quote and time is tight.

Just spoken to one of the local guys who can do the job quickly and is a Worcester Bosch guy- does his own powerflush etc.

Thanks for the advice

What certificates should I be asking for- local Corgi guy mentioned that he supplies documents to the local council who sned me a certificate as he has the right qualifications.

I'll let everyone know how the comparative quotes work out.
Thanks again

Edwin

I'd so go with the local WB guy. BG are overpriced and customer service is very poor.

Remember BG might subcontract the installation to a local installer whom they pay poorly and expect to work quickly. NB the difference between their "power cleanse" and a "powerflush". Some of their guys have told me they don't do either properly.

Remember BG might subcontract the installation to a local installer whom they pay poorly and expect to work quickly. NB the difference between their "power cleanse" and a "powerflush". Some of their guys have told me they don't do either properly.

They jokingly used to call it a "power rinse" when I was at BG. As they are all on pricework it was NEVER done properly. :rolleyes:

get the idea most the engineers on ere dnt want bg to do the install :LOL: they arnt as bad as everyone makes out!

spose ya could look at it that way mickyg :LOL: but the majority of the installs on my patch are greenstar's.. i don't think glowworms are the worst boiler and they aren't that bad to work on but i do think if they spent a little more they'd have alot less problems in the future

its more that the powercleanse just isnt man enough in some areas where hard water has more effect on corrosion. fair enough the 'cleanse' is built into the price of the job and a full warranteed 8 hour flush isnt but i feel a right git going to an install where all the cleanse did was loosen the crap in the syste, necesitating a full powerflush. if only they'd tell folks before the swap that a full powerflush MAY need doing. or possibly checking the system first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back