new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton netaheat 16-22 boiler which was in our house when we bought it 24 years ago - so its pretty old. My energy bills are horrendously high and I wondered if getting a new boiler would be more energy efficient. Are some boilers more energy efficient than others? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Boilers are more efficient but don`t believe some off the figures being banded about about how much money they will save you. And major consideration is how long is the pay back on your 2 or 3 grand pay out

You could get a Worcester 15Ri or similar installed for about £1600 including TRVs in most parts of Britain by the cheaper installers.

However, ideally the cylinder should be replaced as well if its not foam coated and that would be another £500 or so.

The saving in gas might be about 30% but the cost of the new boiler in interest and capital repayments over 10 years would be about £200 p.a.

Unless gas gets a lot more expensive ( which following oil does seem quite likely ) it would be difficult to justify the investment purely from a financial viewpoint.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i would bin it anyway. sketchy design, getting old enough to be reasonably likely to lose key parts availability in the near future, definately inefficient compared to newer boilers.

as pointed out you may not reap the rewards immediately but why soldier on with an old boiler when you could get the system flushed, sealed, new boiler, new controls and fit a bit of insulation blah blah blah,......you will wonder why you didnt do it years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back