Should I get my boiler replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have a standard boiler which has separate water tank in airing cupboard and loft. It is 20 years old but works without problems.
On account of increasing energy efficiency I decided to change the boiler for a condensing combi boiler. Average cost from 5 quotes is approximately £2800.
Just recently I asked for the last quote and the guy advised me to keep the old boiler. He said that if it works fine then no need to change it. A new boiler that develops problems is much more complicated and expensive to repair than the old ones. Plus it may be less energy efficient to change it as the new boiler switches on and off frequently when using hot water thus using energy.
What are people's thoughts regarding this? Would it be best to keep the old one and just get it serviced or go for the new one?

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
On the efficiency thing the new one will be a lot cheaper to run (hard to say but approx £300 a year), but and its a big but the average lifespan of a condensing boiler is 10 to 15 years and the payback period is approx 10 years for that cost of instal!!!
This means you will have paid off the boiler and will them need to get a new one again.
Also what type of house do you have as a combi is not a good idea for a house with more than one bathroom.?
What type of showers do you have as if you have a pumped or gravity shower at the moment this will need changed too.?
If the boiler is faulty and causing problems then when you need to replace it that is when to decide on the type and cost to upgrade to, although it is now only Cat A or B sedbuck allowed. Which means condensing anyway!

The house has 3 bedrooms with one bathroom and a cloakroom downstairs. The shower is a pumped one not gravity but since its recently irrevocably broken I need to buy a new one :cry:

n the efficiency thing the new one will be a lot cheaper to run (hard to say but approx £300 a year), but and its a big but the average lifespan of a condensing boiler is 10 to 15 years and the payback period is approx 10 years for that cost of instal!!!
That's assuming you have a spare £2800 lying around doing nothing, i.e not earning you any interest. (£2800 at 5% compound for 10 years = £4560 approx). Or you have access to a friendly banker who will lend you £2800 interest free :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It also doesn't take into account the £2-300 pounds a year to keep it going. :rolleyes:

And if you save anywhere near £300 quid on fuel bills I would be very surprised.

You could always go for the Alpha CD range that comes with a 5 year labour and 10 year full parts warranty when installed by an RGI and notified under GWN

I would say that providing you have already got double glazing, good loft and cavity wall insulation then change the boiler. If not, do those first. A 20 year old boiler is past it's best and outdated technology, gas prices aren't likely to come down anytime so your savings with a new boiler are likey to increase year on year. Long term it will pay off to change it.

But new boilers don't last long term ;)

Cheap, badly installed ones don't I agree. Top branded, quality ones fitted to clean and well installed systems I think will last long term. (Vaillant or Viessman for example)

Vaillant...come off it. Just a medioche brand nowdays...look at all the problems they have.

father in law has an old Ideal Mexico.
Got roped in to service on annually basis. (freebee)
Apart from a clean and checking gas rates we have never needed to replace any parts.
Theres still plenty of life in this 20 year old boiler.

Fitted a new Mexico 12 months ago :oops: what a bi*ch.
Cant see it lasting long.

Have to say that we were also investigating the possibility of changing our boiler, again purely in the interest of efficiency. We also had several quotes which varied quite a lot in both cost and advise. A friend recommended a small local company who came and said basically the same as you have been told. Our boiler is just old, it is not giving any trouble and an annual service costing about £70.00 is enough to keep it going. As it is going to be a major operation to replace our boiler we are going to keep it going as long as we can!

I'm sure the several people you had out to quote were really grateful you wasted their valuable time.

I'm sure the several people you had out to quote were really grateful you wasted their valuable time.
You win some and lose some. Unfortunately because the installation side of things is so competitive now thats par the course. I try to give telephone quotes where possible. Don't undercut for the sake of it - maybe the other people missed something and will take a loss?

Best one was call was yesterday morning. The guy gives me enough details - after I ask the right questions. I price the job and call the guy back same day and he says yes go ahead. I didn't even need to drive out and spend a couple of hours on that one!

I justed wanted to thank everyone for their time in responding to my question and provide an update on what happened.
I've got the boiler replaced with a Vaillant Ecotec 831. Went with a Corgi approved guy. All the quotes were approximately the same. A few teething problems atm but they should be sorted out soon.
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back