Thinking about replacing oil boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, we have been thinking about changing our existing oil boiler (Boulter camray 2 model 41-48) to a more energy efficient one. The thing is the boiler works fine and from what i have been told reaches an efficiency of about 86%. We know the boiler is about 15 years old, but seems well built from what we have been told, and the spares are still available. The best new oil boilers seem to reach about 97% efficiency so would it be worth changing to achieve this extra 11%?
Oil wise we have had 3900 litres delivered in the 3+ years so about 1300 litres a year.

Looking forward to your views :D

Sponsored Links
Keep your existing boiler till it leaks. There is NO economic sense in changing to a more expensive one, despite the misleading figures quoted. Insulate your loft if you want to save money

Agree 100% with oilman.

Keep the Boulter.

It might be worth having heating system water checked.
If need be have a chemical flush and add some inhibitor, and have a competent/experienced oil engineer to service the boiler.

As oilman mentioned the energy efficiency on new oil boilers tend to be misleading.

What you will pay to have a new boiler will buy you loads of oil. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, we sort of thought that would be the best course of action. When we built the conservatory I replaced all the rads downstairs and flushed out the pipes and refilled adding furnox, and topped up the loft insulation to 12". The boiler is in attached garage, 9" solid walls and a flat roof. But i moved the frost stat next to the boiler to stop the pipes freezing, as when someone installed the boiler they put the frost stat in the heated utility! Main job for this year is to replace all the upstairs rads, yesterday regretted not doing it sooner with 6" of snow on the ground

Thanks again

Moosele :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back