Oil boiler lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is eleven years old, Boulter camray compact 50-70.
The boiler keeps going into lock out - we press the button boiler works ok and heating etc comes on then after a while seems to reach a certain tempurature then goes into lock out again, and we have to press the lock out button again - anyone any thoughts as to what is wrong. Thank you :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
if the burner fires and runs for over 2 minutes then it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, check that the external fire valve has not partially closed due to a fault. best way is to put a clean tray below it, disconnect the nut furthest from the tank and check that you have a good flow, re-connect and pour the oil back into the tank. next thing could be the solenoid valve, listen for a click about 20 seconds after the motor starts after lockout. (its on the pump with 3 wires going to it).
if the burner fires and runs for about a minute then it could be the photo cell not detecting the flame. pull it out and wipe it with your thumb and see what happens. other than that you will need a manifold pressure gauge and a multimeter to do more tests. hope this helps.

I would ask how long is a "while" and what is the "certain temperature" ?

Sponsored Links
The lockout seems to occur once the boiler has reached the tempurature we have set on the room statand the radiators have got hot, so the length of time varies. Thanks Agile.

So first thing in the morning it will run fine umtil the rads are nice and warm and the room stat goes off at 21 C after about 35 min then?

Suppose you set the room stat to say 16 C instead of your usual 21 C then does it do the same thing in say 15 min then?

when you say lockout do you mean the light comes on on the burner motor or is there perhaps an overheat reset on the casing?
when you say that it runs till the room stat is satisfied do you hear the burner going on and off according to the boiler stat settings untill the room stat is satisfied and switches the pumped heating circuit off?

thats where i would go next. its likely to be a heat/expansion/contracting issue whether it be the coil breaking or even the pcb bending slightly and loosing contact as it expands. this doesnt explain why it starts and runs without going stone cold. id probably have a poke with a pencil.

thats where i would go next. its likely to be a heat/expansion/contracting issue whether it be the coil breaking or even the pcb bending slightly and loosing contact as it expands. this doesnt explain why it starts and runs without going stone cold. id probably have a poke with a pencil.

Theres no PCB, its the solenoid coil breaking down, please dont advise people to POKE around electrical equipment with a PENCIL FFS.

To muddy the water a bit - Personnaly I have never had a Solenoid Coil on a RIELLO R40 breakdown when hot they hardly get warm as they are rated at only a few volts -fault more likely air ingress into fuel line (Wall mounted Boiler) I would say Solenoid coil is least likely on a Riello they usually just stop operating due to the initial lift coil breaking down once the valve has opened the holding coil" normally will work forever and a day (Three wire coil on a Riello R40) ;)

To muddy the water a bit - Personnaly I have never had a Solenoid Coil on a RIELLO R40 breakdown when hot they hardly get warm as they are rated at only a few volts -fault more likely air ingress into fuel line (Wall mounted Boiler) I would say Solenoid coil is least likely on a Riello they usually just stop operating due to the initial lift coil breaking down once the valve has opened the holding coil" normally will work forever and a day (Three wire coil on a Riello R40) ;)

Your experience with this coil mirrors my own.

I too have never had one with intermittent falure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back