Replace Old Boiler or Not?

Sponsored Links
I dont think that I have seen a 16 pin relay in a boiler!

Nor a relay costing more than £12.

Tony

Jesus h Christ Tony, not all of us have a hard drive as a memory.

I could well be wrong but I know the last one I had wasn't cheap ;)

Anyone whoever walked into a pub before the no smoking ban, has got more chance of dying of lung cancer, than asbestos from a Potterton boiler!

Sponsored Links
Anyone whoever walked into a pub before the no smoking ban, has got more chance of dying of lung cancer, than asbestos from a Potterton boiler!

Something only to consider should the boiler be removed :!:

Why do people think its only when you remove certain boilers that asbestos can get to you ,plenty of fibres floating about during a service on certain boilers to and just 1 fibre in the wrong person can result in death never heard of anyone dying from one mouthful of cigarette smoke

As someone who also had a Potterton boiler last year...and decided to changeout I wholeheartedly agree with some posters to keep the boiler if at all possible.

I thought I was doing the right thing going for Vaillant but ended up with a nupty installer and spent weeks sorting out the issues myself…and only then with the help of this board.

See link
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/vaillant-issues.303035/#2214404

In terms of cost you need to be thinking about:
• Powerflush
• Boiler
• Temp valves for radiators if you don’t have already
• New cylinder

You’ll be lucky to get that done for less than £4k.

As someone who also had a Potterton boiler last year...and decided to changeout I wholeheartedly agree with some posters to keep the boiler if at all possible.

I thought I was doing the right thing going for Vaillant but ended up with a nupty installer and spent weeks sorting out the issues myself…and only then with the help of this board.

See link
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/vaillant-issues.303035/#2214404

In terms of cost you need to be thinking about:
• Powerflush
• Boiler
• Temp valves for radiators if you don’t have already
• New cylinder

You’ll be lucky to get that done for less than £4k.

Op u do not nessarily need all of the above apart from the boiler , trv's pt L cylinder etc etc you can be advised to have it done but u cannot be forced . No one from big brother / building regs dept will come around your house & drag u off if u decline , the installer can quote these items seperately than its up to you :)

Too true, there are a bewildering number of organisations/quangos telling us what to fit fit but the statutory minimum is not usually mentioned. They use meaningless terms like 'best practice'.

Personally I would consider the OP's situation regarding the right time to change his boiler.

Is the unit in good condition?
Is he and his dependents going to be in trouble if the unit dies in the coldest winter months?
Does he want to wait until it is dead and then take the first chancer through the door out of desperation?

Those of us who repair boilers know the cost of a fan, a PCB etc. But most of the general public are going to pay £150-£250 every time their boiler packs up. When you are paying parts and labour, a couple of these on a 22 year old boiler is madness.

I mainly install new ones, I don't mind laying my cards on the table.

No-one has yet mentioned the HSE stats that show the Potty Netaheat range are statistically amongst the most likely to cause CO poisoning in the house. Positive pressure combustion chamber. Is this boiler not on the Corgi list for extra vigilance at service inspections?

As the units age, seal deterioration and corrosion become an issue. I would advise the OP considers replacement.

He should also realise that there are no official subsidised scrappage schemes in place, he has been duped by large installation companies' advertising scams to draw people in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back