Boiler Sizing Help

Sponsored Links
My wife spoke to him but from what I gather I think it wsa just in case an 18kw doesn't cope with the demand.
My latest calc online resulted in 15.4kW. Based on a house 10m wide x 12m deep, two storey. In reality the rear extension is only 1storey & side includes a small garage but it was easier to use the calc for a box shape house.
I wont get 24kW unless I have good reason to.

Had 3 plumbers so far look at the house & old gloworm boiler.
1st one said could either move but if new would probably install 24kW.
2nd said a similar thing
3rd guy, very nice guy agreed that it was worth keeping the gloworm 18kW and moving. I suggested new seals, flue kit & service. I'm hoping the 3rd guys quote is reasonable as I want to keep the gloworm. Still a bit of a risk having no warranty but it's working fine now so unless he drops it I'm hoping there will be no problems for a while.
I'll spend the money that I save on better insulation around the house.
Thanks for your advice guys. I think I would have gone with a new one if it weren't for posting on this forum.

I agree it's better moving the boiler.

But view it as just delaying the cost of the replacement for a few years. Hopefully about five more!

Tony

Sponsored Links
5 years! That doesn't seem very long considering it's only 5 years old now.
If I have to replace in 5 aren't I better just getting a new one installed now?

5 years! That doesn't seem very long considering it's only 5 years old now.
If I have to replace in 5 aren't I better just getting a new one installed now?
Anthony, nowhere does it say a boiler will be dead on its 10th birthday
Have been following this thread since you posted Looks like you want a new boiler, 24kw even. My advice is go for it. You cannot go wrong.

Most modern boilers are not expected to last much more than 10 to 12 years.

G-W are seen by engineers as rather budget boilers and perhaps as expected to have a shorter life than the average.

But regardless my view is keep it going.

Otherwise you are throwing it away half way through it's lifespan.

Twaddle? My decision to keep or renew keeps changing at the moment based on this discussion. I still appreciate the feedback though.
At the moment I'm still swaying towards moving the boiler. Plumber quoted £530 to move. Otherwise will cost me £500 + new boiler cost.
Suppose it may just me me a bit more when the GW gives up for a repeat installation.

Twaddle as in the first half of Tony's post.

Only you however, can do the maths and decide if 5 years (give or take) is worth the cost.

Gloworm are certainly not the best brand but at 5 years old, if it is good nick there is no reason not to get another 10 from it if maintained well.

Boilers we install are good for 20 years, so Christ knows what Tony is fitting and how, but then he is renowned for making vast generalisations.

Just move it. The industry is changing very fast right now.

The first wave of mainstream condensing boilers is giving way to the new much more efficient designs. If the flexibomb lasts three years there will be something better to replace it

Flexicom heat only is not a bad boiler. I would recommend moving it. I have some 10 y old models still going strong. And 18kw is fine.

Hi All,
My gloworm boiler was moved a while ago to the new garage in house extension. All is fine so far.
I have a new question....
Currently the large bore feed and return go from the boiler, up to the loft where all the other central heatings bits are (valve & tanks etc.). The controller and room stat is in the hallway. The wires go up to the loft, across new loft & back down again to the boiler in the garage.

For the UFH downstairs one plumber suggested it would be easier to come directly off the large pipes near the boiler and route it to a manifold for the UFH pipes. He said that this would be controlled from a seperate controller purely for the UFH.I'm fine with that.

For the new radiators above the garage is it possible to Tee off from near the boiler to feed 3 radiators that are required. Reason is that the floors under new bedroms and shower are all open so it's easy to route new rad pipes. Otherwise I have to go all the way back to the loft & tee off from the existing rad pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back