Boiler sizing..

OP just a rough guide that we use as a ball park calculation to do it quickly NOT an accurate figure just an alternative way of double checking the calculation are accurate:

5,000 Btu per radiator (whatever size unless all are really big)
15,000 Btu for hot water (if using a cylinder)
+ 10%

simple but effective way of assessing you calculations are in the right area

KW = Btu divided by 3412

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a question re. sizing.

I'm putting in a boiler into a large "games room". There is minimal hot water demand (1 kitchen sink, 1 WC basin).

I quoted for a Worcester 24 junior or a Glow Worm Flexicom 24cx.

However, having another look today, I wondered whether these were big enough as there are 5 x old cast iron school rads (9 columns, 300mm high x 1400mm), plus there will be 5 new rads (3 x 600x1200 dbl, 1 600x800 dbl, 1 600x600 sgl).
I've approximated the size of the rads at 21kW.

I think these are OK as the HW is minimal, but when I put into Worcester's website "find a boiler" 4-5 beds and 1 bath as a comparison, it comes up with a 30 or 37CDi.

Any opinions welcome

Regards,

Graham

If the rads total 21 kW then a 24 kW boiler will have 3 kW spare capacity.

If you are a boiler installer then you should know that oversizing reduces efficiency.

You could also do a whole house heat loss calculation to check the existing rads are adequate.

Tony

Sponsored Links
But surely the best way is to ask some randoms on an internet forum to do your job for you. It's a lot cheaper than paying out for proper training.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back