Boiler Sizing

For Nest to work it often needs extra temperature sensors so checking more than one room, upload_2021-12-3_12-20-34.png however all the adverts for the sensors also show upload_2021-12-3_12-21-27.png which is the USA system not UK, originally Nest used Energenie MyHome TRV heads, but when Google took over Nest they removed support, so I found when changing the Nest Gen 3 with the Energenie app the TRV heads would follow, but not with a programmed change or turning the dial. Also to my mind worked wrong way around, the TRV should tell the wall thermostat what to do, not the wall thermostat telling the TRV what to do.

So I have just needed to set same program for Nest as TRV but they are not linked. The big problem I found was cooling not heating, the hall cooled slower than the living room, and living room cools slower than dinning room, and living room, dinning room, hall and kitchen have outside doors, so I need to monitor more than one room.

The whole idea of geofencing failed, as the radiator too far from thermostat and it over shoots, I raise the hall temperature 0.5°C every two hours from morning switch on to evening and it works, but leave the house and on return it goes to may be a 2°C raise so over shoots.

In last house the boiler was modulating, and the Energenie TRV heads worked well, other than the morning sun on bay window, set at 20°C and it went to 20°C, however the anti-hysteresis software was OTT, so it took 2 hours to get to a new temperature unless I cheated, i.e. set at 22°C for an hour then back to 20°C.

This means geofencing again did not work, as it simply took too long to reheat home. The Drayton Wiser claims to have algorithms built into the TRV to work out how long it takes to heat the room, and the TRV reports to wall thermostat, and you can have opentherm with a single channel version.

I have used Energenie down stairs and eQ-3 up-stairs, and the cheap eQ-3 (£15 for bluetooth version) have worked well, not happy with Energenie for a few reasons, but the eQ-3 have worked well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back