Boiler Sounds Like a Car Ticking Over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says really.

Wife noticed this morning that the boiler (Vaillant) sounded like a car ticking over.

After boiler went off and we left it for 10 minutes before firing it again it sounded more or less normal.

It was after calling for hot water (CH had gone off) - not sure if it's significant - and we have the pre-heat function switched on on the boiler. We had used both sjowers at the same time and the CH was also running at full whack - although this is usual in a morning.

Any advice much appreciated. I'd rather get a plumber out now than Christmas day :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Tomplum posted this on the Screwfix forum;

"Just been to a boiler i installed in july, "its makin a noise" so i went round and its rumblin cos its not getting enough gas, i did a pressure test, they've only got 10mb at the meter, they can't supply any more, too many people using too much"

Interesting. So it could be low gas pressure. If the gas supply can't cope with the morning rush hour then we are screwed on Christmas morning!

Could this really be the cause though?

Interesting. So it could be low gas pressure. If the gas supply can't cope with the morning rush hour then we are screwed on Christmas morning!

Is there a fault code showing, does it come on after the morning rush?

Is there a fault code showing, does it come on after the morning rush?

No fault code or anything unusual on the display. And yes, it was in what would have been the morning rush I guess.

Kept an ear out last night and this morning but nothig too unusual coming from it.

No point calling a plumber out as without the noise present they will probably struggle to narrow it down.

Out of interest, and being optimistic, if it is simply low gas pressure what does that actually do in the boiler to cause a noise? What is happenig in there.

Rough again this morning around 6am but normal again at 7am.

The other day when I first heard it was around 6am, and yesterday when it sounded fine it was about 7am so this could go with the theory of pressure drop at peak time.

I think I will call the plumber today for advice and see what he says. Better safe than sorry with Christmas just a few days away and the boiler getting a good thrashing due to the cold weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back