Does this sound like delayed ignition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a brand new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 27Ri gas boiler installed in May and haven’t had any issues with it actually working, except since we started using it regularly we’ve noticed it seems to make a loud noise when igniting (I wouldn’t say like a bang but more like just a loud vibration) only when it’s not been on for a while. I took some videos of it happening when stood next to the flue (boiler is in our garage, adjacent to the house). Every time it switches on it sounds like there’s a ticking/ignition sound as well. Thing is I recently had a Gas Safe engineer - who wasn’t even the same one who installed the boiler - look at our whole system and put new lagging around the boiler so I’d be surprised there’s any issue, but this doesn’t seem normal to me even as a layman, so I’d really appreciate any advice. I’ve uploaded a video to YouTube that probably best shows the issue, taken in the morning yesterday after the boiler had been left off overnight:

Sponsored Links
Hard to hear anything other than birds tweeting and a slight grumble. Only installed in May then it’ll be under warranty - contact your installer or failing that call WorcesterBosch, if you’re concerned.

its struggling to light, bad gas mix, low gas pressure, blocked condensate all possible causes.
might be a sticky governor on the gas meter. you need your installer back.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Even gas line to boiler blocked perhaps?
Is the Benchmark filled in and what is the inlet working pressure5. ( bet it says 20mb :ROFLMAO: If the figure is indeed noted)

Sponsored Links
Apologies for late reply; I’ve been unwell. Many thanks for the replies to my original message.

I had the installer round this morning and he cleaned the system but now says the only thing he can think of is the gas pipe: it’s 15mm and hasn’t been upgraded and he didn’t upgrade it. Can that cause this behaviour from the boiler and should I not be using it if it’s unsafe? The boiler only seems to do this when it’s not been on all day or overnight; otherwise it’s fine.

The boiler is not very far from the gas meter: the boiler itself is in the garage and the meter is about 2m away from it.

I’m getting the feeling I shouldn’t have used this installer, but I’m a total layman when it comes to boilers so please don’t judge me too harshly.

Got them coming Monday… just preparing for the worst

Got them coming Monday… just preparing for the worst
???? Preparing for what ? what do you think they are going to say ? worst that can happen is they will say the gas supply is undersized and then your installer will have to do the job properly free of charge

If that’s true then great, but can’t they invalidate my whole warranty?

If that’s true then great, but can’t they invalidate my whole warranty?
No they might advise it be upgraded but they wont invalidate the warranty, its not that causing the fault anyway so they will fix it and advise a pipe upgrade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back