Boiler temperature setting and wall thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester 440cdi and a Honeywell wireless thermostat. If my thermostat is set to 21.5'C but I turn down the knob on the boiler from 5 to 3, does this mean I am using less gas?

Sponsored Links
The stat on your boiler controls the temperature of the water in your system.

Your room stat controls the temperature that your room gets to before it switches the boiler off.

If the boiler is off, no matter which stat turned it off, isnt burning any gas and therefore has no running cost.

Thanks :). So the way I have understood it, the boiler temp setting overrides the thermostat. So if I put that low then no matter how high my crazy lodger puts the temp on the thermostat, the boiler will switch off well before if I have the boiler set to 3 out of 6?

But the house may never get up to temp so the boiler will cycle on and off all day and could cost you more than if the house got up to temp and turned boiler off completly

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have a Worcester 440cdi and a Honeywell wireless thermostat. If my thermostat is set to 21.5'C but I turn down the knob on the boiler from 5 to 3, does this mean I am using less gas?

You should set the boiler as low as possible i.e just enough to heat your house to the desired temperature (21.5C in your case).

To save more gas try turning your room thermostat down too, we used to keep it at 21.5C but now it is kept at 19.5C, I lowered it gradually so we don't notice much of a difference.

You can set the upper limit on the Honeywell in the installer menu, its parameter 6:uL, so you could set it to 21 and the lodger will not be able to set it any higher!

is even easier; it is your house, tell lodger to keep his hands off the heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back