Boiler Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently fitted a shower to mixer taps. Hot pressure is great coming from boiler but cold pressure is rubbish because comes form tank. My solution to this was to use just the hot with the good pressure and just turn down the water temp on the boiler to ideal shower teperature.
The problem is eenen though I have turned the temp on the bolier down to minimum the water is still very very hot therefore no good for a shower.

Any ideas why turning the temp down did not work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You haven't told us much, but I assume you have a combi? In this case from your description you have unbalanced hot and cold supplies.

For a combi you will need to have the cold to the bath/shower off the cold mains supply, not the loft tank. I do not understand why you still have the loft tank. Whenever I fit a combi I automatically swap all colds to cold mains :rolleyes:

Thanks for replying. Not sure why cold is not from the mains. It's a rented flat so I don't know the history.

If i could reduce the temp of the hot coming from the boiler then i would be laughing, right?

I still don't think this will solve your problems as the hot pressure is way too great compared with the cold. You are in the scenario of turning the cold on full and turning the hot on about 1mm turn :rolleyes: which at best is a pain in the a**e but at worse could be dangerous :eek:

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean but 1 mm turn is not sufficient for the bolier to fire up.

How hard is it to change the cold from tank to mains?

Thanks

1mm was figurativly speaking!

If you can trace the bath cold feed to the airing cupboard you could drain tank and cut and connect to cold mains with pushfit or compression fittings.

Alternatively disconnect cold tank and link the cold mains from the ball valve direct to the cold outlet from the tank. If flat is old then you may have 3/4 copper instead of 22mm to the bath pipe, which will need a converter fitting or a 22mm compression fitting fitted with a 3/4 olive one end. Available from all GOOD plumbing merchants. Not a hard job if you hace easy access and feel confident ;)

The 2 pipes are right next to each other. One to the tank ball-cock and the one from the bottom of the tank to the bath. So after turning the water off at the stop cock just cut both pipes and join them together (would need some kind of U- joint? so mains goes straight to the bath and not through the tank. Right?

Sounds like a piece of cake!

What are the chances of flooding the flat and the ones below me?

Cheers.

Turn stop cock off, run bath cold until it stops, open another cold mains tap to let water out of pipe to ball valve, cut both pipes, have some tissue or towels ready for slight water spillage, connet with fittings with a small bit of pipe btween them. Push fit should be a doddle if all metric sizes.

Thanbks for the advice.

Next question; the stop
cock looks like it was last turned off in 1954 and won't budge. Any suggestions?

thanks.

are you on a water meter that is in the ground outside or look outside for your main stop cock and turn it off there.

I would not recommend that as a tenant you start doing any modifications.

The Landlord could object and require it to be puit right at your cost.

Worse still you could cause thousands of pounds of damage to flats underneath and presumably you dont have plumber's insurance.

Why not explain the problem to the Landlord and let them sort it out?

Tony

I would agree with Tony, you could possibly cause damage, personally I always convert to mains with a pressure reducing valve inline.

Thanks for all the advice. I will contact the landlord I think.

Going back to the start almost. Anyone know why when I turn the boiler water temp to min it doesn't make any difference and still comes out as if set to max?

Well if you told us the make and model of boiler then we could perhaps make an educated guess.

If you can increase the flow rate through the shower that would also reduce the temperature.

What about poking all the scale out of all the holes in the shower rose?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back