Boiler Thermostat Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Everybody.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the circulating pump in my central heating shattered internally and blocked the flow of hot water in the system.

The system overheated and the pressure control opened and emptied the water. However, damage was called to soldering joints etc. I replaced the pump and its associated valves.
The pressure control valve had to be replaced also - once it opened it refused to close.

Once i had repaired all the leaks, refilled and bled the sysytem, I attempted to fire it up.
The burner refused to start.

I traced the problem to the boiler thermostat control box. I have some experience in electronics and I found the temperature control portion was OK but the overheat control section is faulty.

I think that when the boiler overheated, the overheat control operated and cut the power to the burner. However, now at normal temperatures this control is still breaking the supply to the burner.

I feel that I may have difficulty in obtaining a replacement unit. If so, I was planning to modify the system.

I would like to canvass your opinions. I had the idea of of leaving the original unit in situ.
My plan is to bridge out the overheat section. The temperature setting section would then be still operational. I have a cylinder thermostat unit which bolts onto pipes. I planned to bolt this unit onto the 3/4 inch pipe coming out of the boiler. This unit would provide the overheat protection.

The existing unit and the cylinder thermostat would be connected in series.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that anyone can make.

Many thanks,

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Firstly, make and model of boiler would be more than helpful.

Secondly bridging out a safety device is not allowed and is not only dangerous but bloody silly.

Thirdly, does it have an overheat reset button?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back