Thermostat Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no Thermostat controller in my house. My boiler is old, but my timing unit is only a couple of years old. Is it possible to attach a thermostat unit to the current system to regulate the temperature within my house?

Sponsored Links
Basically, the controller will have a permanent live and neutral which provides it with power, and the other wires act akin to a switch which tells the boiler/pump whether to be on or off.

Therefore you simply need to wire your thermostat so that it acts as another intermediate switch along one of these (switched) wires. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Can I install a thermstat unit myself or would it be professional job?

Sponsored Links
an electrician could do this. Guestimate about £100 plus the cost of the thermostat of your choice - most of the work will be making the wiring/trunking look pretty.

Pretty easy to install. You need to work out which of the wires are switching the boiler/pump on/off.

most of the wiring resided next to the timing unit. Is it possible to identify the wiring structure for an on and off switch from the system?

Depends which gives you easier access to the wires, coupled with where you want to position the thermostat. Personally, I'd be inclined to put a junction box (square pattress with a blank cover on it) near the boiler and run the wires into that. In that way you can put a connectastrip into it and see what's what.

You may wish to consider using a radio controlled stat with the base unit near the boiler and the stat's control panel wherever you want (even portable - try different positions around the house until you find the best place). May cost a bit more, but will save on cables running all over the place, trunking etc.

most of the wiring resided next to the timing unit. Is it possible to identify the wiring structure for an on and off switch from the system?

Yes - permanent live and neutral and earth is pretty obvious. The back of the current programmer may have an overview of the switching layout.

The rooms upstairs are always warm when the CH is turned on, but my lounge is quite big and only has one radiator and it's hard to maintain a constant heat. Would it be best to place the thermostat controller in the lounge??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back