Ancient Boiler - upgrade thermostat and programmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I've moved into a house nearly a year ago and we have an old system, it's a gravity fed system with an old Glow-worm Fuelsaver mk2 boiler. This is connected to a Horstmann 425 Tiara non digi programmer and a Honeywell t6360 room thermostat. It does work and we went through last winter OK but I'd like more control of my system on a room by room basis. The house thermostat, the t6360 is on the wall on the stairs which doesn't represent the house temperature at all! I've seen my mums fully wifi and auto hive system and I've been blown away.

So the first question, what are my options short of replacing the boiler and the entire system? Is a hive system with room control even possible with such a system. If not, then fine, could I change the programmer to an electronic one? The manual one only gives me on off options, regardless of the day. My wife works full time and it would be great to have more control of when the boiler actually brings on water and the central heating. Also, could we have a wireless thermostat fitted to replace the t6360?

Any thoughts and opinions welcome. We can't afford a boiler and full system so that is a no go. If anyone could give us specific units to look at for swapping out the programmer and thermostat, I'd appreciate it.

Chris

Sponsored Links
If you want individual room control you'll need Evohome or Heat Genius, but that'll cost more than a new boiler! Do you have TRVs on your radiators?

You can fit a new programmer and room thermostat to that system easily, and it would be far better than what you have now.

Either a 2 channel programmer and basic thermostat, or better would be a single channel programmer (switching hot water only) and a programmable thermostat so you set the temperature you require at various times, rather than on/off. The Hive is those two items combined, although other options are available.
Wireless thermostat can be fitted, but the only advantage is that it doesn't need a cable. They cost more and require batteries to function.

If you don't have TRVs on the radiators, they should be fitted in most of the rooms, but not the one with the thermostat in it.

Sponsored Links
guys, I've really been looking into the honeywell evo home system and I can't quite understand the wireless box that connects to the boiler. Would it be a case of totally removing the thermostat and the programmer and connecting the honeywell box ? Is this a possible diy operation??

Last edited:
Would it be a case of totally removing the thermostat and the programmer and connecting the honeywell box ? Is this a possible diy operation??
The Evohome replaces all of the existing controls - it's a complete system.
Certainly possible for DIY although that does depend on the individual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back