Room thermostat control

OK you have an S plan one valve for CH and one for HW unless you have another room thermostat that you havent told us about, you will feel a small lever on the end of each valve, when the HW and CH calling for heat this lever should be able to slide across with no resistance , with them satisfied or off the lever will still move across but you will feel resistance, next time the CH doesnt come back on , dont touch anything and go to the CH valve and slide the lever across and see if it has resistance, it might suddenly move across as you slide the lever

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
There is a Honeywell froststat wired to the boiler.
Yes I seen that, it wont make any difference, some modern homes have seperate upstairs and downstairs zone control with 2 room thermostats

My heating is definitely single zone. I’ll try the CH valve next time it doesn’t come back on. I’ll report back on what I find.

Thanks all your comments.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again ianmcd. I have just managed to check out the motorised valve and there was no resistance in moving the lever across. However, when I turn off the power there is a resistance and the lever moves back when released. When I turned the power back on there's an intermittent electronic buzz from the motor. I'm guessing this isn't good, but want to ask for confirmation before I purchase and replace. Thanks

Thanks again ianmcd. I have just managed to check out the motorised valve and there was no resistance in moving the lever across. However, when I turn off the power there is a resistance and the lever moves back when released. When I turned the power back on there's an intermittent electronic buzz from the motor. I'm guessing this isn't good, but want to ask for confirmation before I purchase and replace. Thanks
yes sounds like the valve is working correctly but may have a fault the way it works is when you demand heating the motor opens the valve then once the valve is open, the motor moves a little but further and makes an electric micro switch, sometimes referred to as an End switch, and this switch brings the boiler on, sometimes the motor is weak and doesnt operate the Micro switch and sometimes the switch itself is faulty, Most actuators these days can be replaced without draining the system but not all, if you post a pic of your valve I will tell you if you have a removeable head

I’ve already removed the head to make sure that the valve is turning freely, but it’s a Honeywell 22mm x 2 port (pic attached). I see that you can replace the head or just the sycron motor. Any preference?

Attachments

• 56EFA7B7-8725-445F-8CB9-FA10E21066F5.png
    56EFA7B7-8725-445F-8CB9-FA10E21066F5.png
    2 MB · Views: 64
I see that you can replace the head or just the sycron motor. Any preference?

Depends on your confidence and competence with electrics. Head is easier, I’ve yet to change a synchron (don’t really get the chance).

yes it is indeed a removable head , and for future reference see the attached pic if anyone is wondering if they have a removable head , if it has the dimple that I have marked it is removable, cant say without seeing the job if a motor would sort it or if the micro switch has gone

182742-654400efa3d85791d0905645255ce913.jpg

Depends on your confidence and competence with electrics. Head is easier, I’ve yet to change a synchron (don’t really get the chance).
Changing the synchron on 2 ports is easy , some 3 ports can be a real PITA as when you take the motor out it falls into lots of bits

• Thanks
So changing out the head sounds like the best route and that way I can be confident that everything is working as it should.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
Thanks for that. I'll pick up a new head unit from Screwfix tomorrow and get the job done. I'll probably go with wiring direct to junction box as I don't want to wait for an eBay delivery and until next weekend.

Thanks for that. I'll pick up a new head unit from Screwfix tomorrow and get the job done. I'll probably go with wiring direct to junction box as I don't want to wait for an eBay delivery and until next weekend.
you get them in any parts centre, you dont have to use them they just make the job a bit easier, you will see why when you get into the wiring centre

Noted. I've already opened up the wiring centre and seen the birds nest of wires, so fully understand the benefits.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back