Boiler thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my boiler serviced today. The engineer offered to turn down the thermostat on the boiler saying it would save money.

I previously set the boiler thermostat to around 70 deg, as the hot water cylinder is set to 65 deg. I always thought if the boiler is set to a lower temperature than the cylinder, then the call for heating when the hot water is turned on will never end.

I asked the engineer about this, and he said it doesn’t work that way.

I had a look in the manual for the boiler, which appears to confirm what I was thinking, that the boiler thermostat should be set higher than the hot water cylinder thermostat.

Who is correct? Do I need to turn the boiler up, or the cylinder to below the boiler (I thought water should be 58 deg or above (>50 for legionella and 58 for hand washing)?), or is it ok to leave it as the engineer has set it?

Or maybe I should alter the hot water schedule knowing the boiler will remain on for the whole time it is scheduled? In which case it would be useful to know how long it takes to heat the water and will depend on usage.

20230306_172220.jpg
20230306_172344.jpg
20230306_172531.jpg
20230306_172227.jpg

Sponsored Links
Engineer sounds like he’s talking shoite. If you have a boiler temperature of 50 degrees, take off a few for natural heat loss from possibly uninsulated pipes, so possibly 45 degrees, when is the cylinder going to reach 60? Set the boiler back to what is was previously, perhaps 65-70?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back