Boiler turning itself on too frequently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just noticed that my boiler seems to spend quite a lot of time turning itself on (lighting), perhaps every minute or so, is this normal?
The radiators are heating up ok and there is hot water, so I'm wondering why it keeps performing this operation.
I can't honestly say whether it always does this because I have only just noticed it. I'm afraid I have no idea what make or model my floor-standing boiler is, only that it is not a combi.

Thanks for any help.

Kingsley

Sponsored Links
It's not normal.
Do you have a room thermostat?

Do you have a room thermostat? Thermostatic radiator valves? Motorised valves?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have a room thermostat in the sitting room but no thermostatic radiator valves.

Thanks

In that case it should be wired to deny power to the boiler when the thermostat is satisfied. See boiler interlock here

Does that mean that my room therm is faulty. When the required room temp is reached, doesn't the room therm turn off the boiler? Also, is it dangerous for the boiler to be starting up so often?

Thanks for your help.

just out of interest have you changed anything else recently?

you can get a room stat from b & very long line of people they will be open tomorrow

You can test the stat by turning it up and down, and it should operate about the temperature the room is at.

This morning, with the boiler off, I turned the room stat right down and then put the boiler on. It started and behaved normally but the rads still got warm! I turned the room stat up which did not cause the boiler to start its constant tuning on procedure and is at present purring away normally. The room stat does not seem to affect it. Any ideas?
Thanks for all your help up to now.

as you said the room stat did not affect it, i would be inclined to think it is the room stat that is at fault, because it DIDN't affect it.

the room stat should "click" when you adjust it, from min low to max high, this is when it is "detecting" the room temperature

The room stat does click but just doesn't seem to control the boiler. Is it easy to replace it?
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back