Boiler under gassed - AT RISK

Sponsored Links
Its only AR if it prevents the appliance operating and the minimum gas input rating. If there is no flame lift and the gas rate is ok its NCS

I dont blame that last guy for AR'ing it though. It is below the minimum working pressure and he is covering his arse.

There isnt a problem running gas pipe outside as long as it is properly supported and doesnt touch wall. It also needs to be sleeved passing through the wall and sealed on the inside only.

Sponsored Links
Ours was only getting 13.5mbar, nothing was turned off, there was just a note on the certificate.

industry standards state boilers (recent ) should work safely at a minimumn of 14 mbar !

What about if the installation was in a low gas pressure area ? a pinch point ? were 20 mbar running was not available ?

Its probably highly un likely that a pre mix boiler would need 20 mbar at the inlet any way ?? over in the CC there was a debate about this !

one fella tested an intergas I beleive with an electronic gauge , shut the gas supply off & recorded a negative pressure of minus 18 mbar , that was the pull of the fan on the gas pipe ? so he said !
So as for the boiler NCS !

A J&S Reno will work ok at 10 mbar !!

WARNING !
Edited on the 27th febuary 2011 , the Johnson & Starley Reno boilers have proven to be the most unreliable boiler we have ever had the misfortune to install , an absolute disgrace , stay well away !

manufacture over rules the gas regs! if vaillant say 17.0mlb is the minimum inlet pressure allowed that is the minimum or ya go off!!

manufacture over rules the gas regs! if vaillant say 17.0mlb is the minimum inlet pressure allowed that is the minimum or ya go off!!

I would not nessarily disagree with you , most if not all boiler manus would adopt the same criteria in particular if they turn out to a job but when you have a low gas pressure area a pinch point & we work in one there is not much to be done about it , so u either at risk something like 34 gas boilers , to which there is no solution other than getting the gas board to convert the area to mediumn pressure ? or tell them they cannot have a gas appliance ?? none of which is possible ! or feasable !

Most manus are well aware that there boilers will work OK , Ideal told me off the record that the Isar or Icos will go down to 4 or 6 mbars !
J&S off the record were 10 mbars ! If any pre mix boiler manu state that there are safety issues with there boilers below 17 mbars than they should not be sold in the UK . IMHO

But the fact remains that the boiler was installed with a gas supply that has a greater pressure drop than 1mB. A more reputable installer would have priced the job to do the job right.... I have had to repipe the gas to virtually every 30kW condensing combi that I have fitted and I'll bet that most of you guys have had to upgrade the gas supply to the majority of combis too. The installer has under cut the competition by cutting corners and has taken the bread out of the mouths of decent installers.... Should the original installer not be liable to put the job right, even though he was most likely Corgi at the time can GS not be able to enforce this?

Yeah I know... I'm on cloud cookoo

To the OP while the others are chatting!

The installee should have upgraded the pipe as required to get the 1 mB maximum loss. Talk to him and if you are not happy with the response ask Gas Safe.

A friend was taken to task over an undersized supply and the nice inspector agreed that he could/should charge the customer for fitting an adequate gas pipe.

My view is that its AR when its so low.

But last winter on a very cold Sunday I saw this boiler that I could not set up properly and I found the supply pressure into the meter was only 15 mB.

Tony

But the fact remains that the boiler was installed with a gas supply that has a greater pressure drop than 1mB. A more reputable installer would have priced the job to do the job right.... I have had to repipe the gas to virtually every 30kW condensing combi that I have fitted and I'll bet that most of you guys have had to upgrade the gas supply to the majority of combis too. The installer has under cut the competition by cutting corners and has taken the bread out of the mouths of decent installers.... Should the original installer not be liable to put the job right, even though he was most likely Corgi at the time can GS not be able to enforce this?

Yeah I know... I'm on cloud cookoo

Yea I did the "right" thing and priced to do just that for a triple hobbed double oven cooker, I proved to the customer the existing supply was allready undersized by showing him how the existing 4 ring hob was affected when the boiler came on, guess what, someone else got the job and just branched into the 15mm supply at the boiler, I complained to CORGI, guess what, they couldn't give a f***k.

I would NCS and get em to sign warning notice to cover my back.

Till test nipples are fitted as standard to the tails of boiler gas supplies before it passes through a restrictive isolating valve then a fine mess filter then into a restrictive gas valve before it can be tested we will never get proper readings of what the pressure drop is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back